You can now read 10 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

The Boston Globe

Sports

NFL NOTEBOOK

Notebook: Eagles cut star corner Nnamdi Asomugha

The Eagles released cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha Tuesday, just two years after he was the NFL’s most sought-after free agent.

General manager Howie Roseman said he and new coach Chip Kelly spoke to Asomugha and ‘‘he took the news with a lot of class.’’

Continue reading below

Asomugha was due to make $15 million this season, including $4 million guaranteed, after signing a five-year, $60 million deal with the Eagles in 2011. Asomugha had just four interceptions as an Eagle.

The Eagles later signed tight end James Casey, formerly of the Texans.

Ravens land Canty

The Ravens signed free agent defensive end Chris Canty, who spent the previous four seasons with the Giants. Canty announced the signing on Instagram with a photo of the signed contract, according to the Ravens website. But it was a tough day for the Super Bowl champions, who lost free agent linebackers Paul Kruger and Dannell Ellerbe. Kruger signed a reported five-year, $40 million deal with the AFC North-rival Browns and Ellerbe agreed to a five-year deal with the Dolphins . . . Tony Gonzalez changed his mind and decided to return to the Falcons. The NFL’s career leader among tight ends with 1,242 receptions and 103 touchdowns said he was 95 percent certain he would retire after 2012, but the other 5 percent won out. Atlanta also agreed to a six-year deal with left tackle Sam Baker . . . Defensive end Will Smith and linebacker Jonathan Vilma, both implicated in the Saints’ bounty scandal, agreed to restructure their contracts to remain with New Orleans. They would have taken up about $23 million combined in salary cap space . . . Titans stalwart guard Steve Hutchinson retired after 12 seasons. Tennessee also waived guard Mitch Petrus and safety Jordan Babineaux . . . By being on the Broncos roster Tuesday, quarterback Peyton Manning guaranteed his salary of $20 million a year for 2013 and 2014. Denver also agreed to terms with guard Louis Vasquez, late of San Diego.

Foote re-ups

The Steelers re-signed linebacker Larry Foote and receiver Plaxico Burress, and tendered offers to four restricted free agents: receiver Emmanuel Sanders, running backs Jonathan Dwyer and Isaac Redman, all of whom could be starters in 2013, and nose tackle Steve McLendon . . . The Bears have agreed to a five-year contract with Saints Pro Bowl left tackle Jermon Bushrod. The deal is potentially worth about $36 million. Tight end Martellus Bennett agreed to a four-year contract with the Bears, leaving the Giants after one season. Chicago defensive tackle Henry Melton signed his franchise tag tender at $8.45 million . . . The Chargers released veteran tight end Randy McMichael . . . The Colts agreed on contracts with tackle Gosder Cherilus, linebacker Lawrence Sidbury, cornerback Greg Toler, and linebacker Erik Walden.

Vick’s tour canceled

Michael Vick’s book-signing tour has been canceled because of threats against him for running a dogfighting ring. The Eagles QB was scheduled to sign copies of his autobiography ‘‘Finally Free,’’ at Barnes & Noble stores . . . The Texans cut receiver Kevin Walter, who was due to make $2 million in salary. He caught 41 passes for 518 yards and two touchdowns in 2012 . . . The Rams signed former Titans tight end Jared Cook . . . The Panthers jettisoned linebacker James Anderson, who set a franchise record in 2011 with 174 tackles.

Loading comments...

You have reached the limit of 10 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week