BRADENTON, Fla. – The Red Sox backed off their plans to have David Ortiz take batting practice on Monday. Ortiz is “still not ready for the next phase,” manager John Farrell said of the slugger’s ailing foot.
Ortiz also told reporters that he had a setback to his Achilles injury on Aug. 24 when he came back to play in one game. That was the only game Ortiz played after suffering the injury on July 16.
Ortiz was shut down early last week as his status failed to improve. Asked if it was a concern that Ortiz has now surpassed the 5-7 day period of rest with no major improvement, Farrell said, “A concern in that it’s going to be a couple more days than originally thought or projected. When he was shut down there was a 5-7 day period where we monitored how the medication was going to take hold and how the anti-inflammatory treatments were bringing that along.
“To what extent progress is being made, and there’s some, but not to the point where he’s ready to take it to the next step.”
Ortiz acknowledged last week he did not expect to be ready for Opening Day. But he added he hoped to rest to allow him to have a good 5 or 5 1/2 months.
Also, Red Sox shortstop Stephen Drew is still unable to play because of the effects of a concussion. Farrell said if he didn’t improve by the end of Monday, the team would send Drew to see a specialist.
Farrell said Drew is not feeling any additional exertion symptoms when he does the stationary bike, but he is not ready to go to the next step.