You can now read 10 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

The Boston Globe

Sports

Red Sox notebook

Clay Buchholz now to skip next start

“Everything felt pretty much normal, just a little bit dead arm. Ball was coming out of my hand as good as it usually does,” Buchholz said.

Nam Y. Huh/ AP/File

“Everything felt pretty much normal, just a little bit dead arm. Ball was coming out of my hand as good as it usually does,” Buchholz said.

PHILADELPHIA — When Clay Buchholz had a start pushed back a few days because of a sore AC joint in his shoulder, the Red Sox said it was just a minor injury.

Now Buchholz will miss a full turn in the rotation, his start on Friday against the Yankees having been canceled. The righthander still felt some discomfort when throwing in the bullpen on Wednesday.

Continue reading below

“When he mentioned that, this is something I took out of his hands,” manager John Farrell said. “Made the decision to give him another couple of days.’’

Buchholz said his shoulder felt tight at first but improved over the course of his throwing.

“Everything felt pretty much normal, just a little bit dead arm. Ball was coming out of my hand as good as it usually does,” Buchholz said.

Buchholz told Farrell he wanted to pitch on Friday but he understood the caution.

Buchholz could start against the Yankees on Sunday. But the Sox also haven’t ruled out a stint on the 15-day disabled list given that he has already missed a week.

Still, Farrell believes there is no cause for concern.

“The encouraging thing through this is that while he’s thrown his bullpens, his arm slot is the same; his delivery is the same, there’s no issues with that,” Farrell said.

“There’s nothing. This is located in the AC joint. There’s nothing in the rotator cuff. All the strength tests are very strong, they’re good; they’re consistent with spring training. This is just something we want to quiet down completely before we run him out there.”

Franklin Morales will start against the Phillies on Thursday. Jon Lester was pushed back a day and will face the Yankees in New York Friday.

Felix Doubront is scheduled for Saturday. The Sox initially had Ryan Dempster listed for Sunday. Now they’ll wait to see how Buchholz feels after throwing on Thursday.

“I want to pitch Friday. But we’ll give it a little more time to feel 100 percent like I have all year,” Buchholz said.

Buchholz is 7-0 with a 1.73 ERA in 10 starts. He has not pitched since last Wednesday because of soreness in his collarbone area, where the AC joint is located. Buchholz claimed the pain developed when he fell asleep holding his daughter.

Morales, who came off the disabled list on Tuesday, will be making his first appearance of the season. He started five games in the minor leagues, going 1-1 with a 3.18 ERA. Morales started nine games last season. He was 3-3 with a 4.14 ERA.

Pedroia perseveres

Dustin Pedroia tore the ulnar collateral ligament in his left thumb on Opening Day when he dived headfirst into first base in the ninth inning against the Yankees. But he has started every game since.

Pedroia decided against surgery or a stint on the disabled list and kept on playing. The story broke in the Herald and quoted owner John Henry.

Pedroia was annoyed the news came out, saying he was trying to keep it from the public.

“We want medical stuff to stay private,” he said. “Players are playing. No reason to talk about injuries and stuff like that.”

Pedroia claimed the injury does not bother him.

“I’m fine,” he said. “I told you guys that from the beginning.”

On April 26, Sox hitting coach Greg Colbrunn told the Globe that Pedroia had been dealing with a thumb injury all season. But the second baseman denied that at the time, as did Farrell.

“I think if you miss time, you should be able to reveal it to everybody,” Pedroia said Wednesday. “But guys who are playing, there’s no point to talk about anything.”

Red Sox pitcher Andrew Bailey had surgery for a torn UCL in his thumb last season. But Farrell made out Pedroia’s torn ligament to be little more than an annoyance.

“I would categorize Pedey’s situation much like other players that are dealing with some physical ailment that they manage through treatment,” he said. “It becomes very cut and dry in his mind. To be honest, there’s never a doubt coming into the ballpark whether he’s going to be available on a given day.”

Pedroia did not give a direct answer when asked whether surgery was an option in April.

“I just talked about some things with our training staff and our team doctor, things like that,” he said. “It wasn’t a very long discussion. Got checked out and made sure everything was fine and went and played.”

Pedroia was 1 for 3 in a 4-3 loss against the Phillies. He is hitting .332 with a .419 on-base percentage. But only in recent weeks has his slugging percentage climbed.

Pedroia had eight extra-base hits in the first 37 games of the season, one of them a home run. He has nine in the 18 games since, two of them homers.

Farrell was asked whether hiding injuries was now something the team encourages.

“I don’t think we’re looking to hide anything . . . but you have to respect what the player wants,” he said.

Bradley is back

The Red Sox, who had been carrying an extra reliever, optioned righthander Alex Wilson to Triple A Pawtucket and called up outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr.

He struck out as a pinch hitter in the ninth inning and is now hitless in his last 21 at-bats in the majors.

Bradley started the season with the Red Sox and was instrumental in helping them take two of three from the Yankees to start the season. But he was 3 for 31 over 12 games before being optioned back to the minors on April 20.

Bradley hit .354 with a 1.001 OPS in 20 games for Pawtucket and had a 12-game hit streak at the time of his promotion. Bradley was 21 of 48 (.438) in his streak with nine extra-base hits, seven RBIs, and 11 runs.

The 23-year-old said his confidence was not bruised by the experience.

“It’s OK to crawl before you start walking and running,” he said. “Just learning from that aspect. I learned that you’re going to fail. You’ve got to make the small adjustments that you need to do to get to where you want to be.”

Farrell said Bradley could return to the lineup in New York.

Wilson pitched well over 16 appearances, posting a 2.50 ERA, but was a victim of roster management. Wilson has options remaining, something Clayton Mortensen does not.

Victorino lauded

Shane Victorino, out since May 21 with left hamstring and back injuries, could start a minor league rehabilitation assignment this weekend. He is eligible to come off the disabled list on Wednesday and is on track to do that. Victorino, who played for the Phillies from 2005-12, was shown on the scoreboard in the middle of the fourth inning and came out of the dugout to tip his cap to the fans. He received a loud ovation. “That made me feel good,” he said. “The fans were always great to me here.” . . . Will Middlebrooks, who went on the disabled list May 24 with a back strain, is feeling better. He did some running for the first time since the injury on Wednesday and felt better. He also took some practice swings. “My back isn’t completely healthy yet but it has improved a little every day,” said Middlebrooks, who believes he can return June 8 . . . Mike Napoli was at first base with David Ortiz on the bench for the interleague road game. Ortiz, who popped out as a pinch hitter in the ninth inning, is expected to start at first base on Thursday. It would be his first game in the field since last June 17.

Peter Abraham can be reached at pabraham@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @PeteAbe.

You have reached the limit of 10 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week