First baseman Mike Napoli is expected to return to the Red Sox’ lineup for at least one game of Tuesday’s day-night doubleheader against the Tampa Bay Rays.
Napoli came out of Thursday’s game in Baltimore in the third inning because of an illness and missed the remainder of the four-game series. The Sox sent him back to Boston Saturday to be examined by team doctors.
Manager John Farrell said Sunday he was hopeful Napoli would be cleared to play on Tuesday. On Monday, Sox officials said that would be the case.
Napoli is hitting .262 and is tied with David Ortiz for the team lead with 49 RBIs.
The Sox also set their rotation for the doubleheader. Alfredo Aceves, who is being added to the roster as the extra player, will start the first game. Felix Doubront will go in the second.
The Rays will start 24-year-old rookie Chris Archer in the first game. He faced the Red Sox last Wednesday and lasted only four innings. Archer struck out Daniel Nava to end his final inning and jumped up and down on the mound before glaring at Nava and kissing his arm.
Nava said he did not see the gesture. Archer told reporters afterward he was simply excited and no disrespect of Nava was intended.
The Red Sox are asking fans attending the first game on Tuesday to strongly consider public transportation.
Weekday afternoon games not on the original schedule quite often lead to traffic and parking issues around Fenway Park.
Myers set for debut
The Rays will add righthanded-hitting outfielder Wil Myers to their roster Tuesday and let him take aim at the Green Monster. The 22-year-old hit .286 with 14 home runs and 57 RBIs in 64 games at Triple A Durham.
Myers is one of the best prospects in baseball and was a key component for the Rays in their December trade with the Kansas City Royals.
The Rays sent one of their top starters, James Shields, to the Royals along with righthander Wade Davis and infielder Elliot Johnson for a package of four prospects, led by Myers.
One of the other prospects obtained in the deal, righthander Jake Odorizzi, is scheduled to start the second game of the doubleheader on Tuesday.
It will be the fifth career start for Odorizzi, his third this season. He will be facing the Sox for the first time.
Sox third baseman Will Middlebrooks was 1 for 4 in Sunday’s 6-3 loss in Baltimore. But he hit the ball hard to right field twice, lining out in the third inning and hitting a three-run homer in the seventh. He also made a diving stop to steal a hit from Baltimore’s Alexi Casilla in the fourth inning.
“Silver lining in today’s game is obviously Will’s three-run homer,” Farrell said Sunday. “The swing path through the strike zone is a little more flat. There’s not as much collapse on the backside, and he’s letting the ball travel deep. When he sees a pitch on the outside part of the plate, he’s not pulling off of it.”
Middlebrooks is 4 of 22 since coming off the disabled list, dropping his batting average to .199.
“I hope [the home run] is a good sign,” Middlebrooks said. “Just trying to hit the ball where it’s pitched and go from there. Whatever I can do to help us win games, that is the priority.”
The Isenberg School of Management at UMass-Amherst recognized Sox general manager Ben Cherington as a distinguished alumni during a dinner at the Colonnade Hotel on Monday . . . NESN analyst Jerry Remy, who has not worked since the last week of May because of illness, will not return this week . . . Jose Iglesias’s 17-game hit streak is the longest active streak in the majors. He is 26 of 61 (.426) in the 17 games with six extra-base hits and five RBIs . . . Rubby De La Rosa threw 5⅓ shutout innings and struck out five for Triple A Pawtucket on Monday against Columbus. He allowed only two hits but walked five. If Clay Buchholz goes on the disabled list, De La Rosa is a candidate to start against the Tigers in Detroit Saturday.