You can now read 10 articles a month for free. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

MLB won’t suspend David Ortiz

David Ortiz, right, had to be restrained following his dugout explosion on Saturday.

Gail Burton/AP

David Ortiz, right, had to be restrained following his dugout explosion on Saturday.

Major League Baseball has decided not to suspend David Ortiz for his dugout tantrum Saturday night in Baltimore, according to a league source.

It was a 50/50 proposition for a while, but in the end all things were considered -- including the bad call made by home plate Tim Timmons that set Ortiz off.

Continue reading below

Ortiz destroyed a phone box with his bat and almost hit teammate Dustin Pedroia with it after being dissatisfied with Timmons following a strikeout.

Ortiz was written into the lineup, hitting fourth and serving as the DH, for the Red Sox’ Monday night game against the Rays at Fenway Park.

Manager John Farrell had previously said he didn’t expect Ortiz to be suspended.

Ortiz went 4-for-4 with a home run in Sunday’s game, and said after the game he was moving on from the incident.

“I’m past it,” Ortiz said. “We’re all past it now. It’s a new day.”

Loading comments...

You have reached the limit of 10 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week