SAN FRANCISCO — Red Sox manager John Farrell said on Monday that Xander Bogaerts would start against the Giants on Tuesday. Turns out it will be at shortstop.
Farrell told MLB Network Radio that Bogaerts will replace Stephen Drew in the lineup. It would be the major league debut for the 20-year-old, who was added to the roster on Monday.
“Getting through this stretch here, we felt we needed to rotate some guys through to keep people fresh,” Farrell told MLBN radio.
Bogaerts is a highly-touted prospect, but Farrell said Monday he expects him to complement - and not replace - Drew.
“That’s not to say a platoon situation by any means,” Farrell said Monday. “We’ll look to find the best matchups.”
Bogaerts is also expected to see action at third base.
Bogaerts hit .297 with 15 home runs and 67 RBIs in 116 games for Double A Portland and Pawtucket. He hit .298 with a .926 OPS against lefties in Triple A. Scouts and other talent evaluators generally rate Bogaerts as one of the top three or four prospects in baseball.
“You’re talking about a young, exciting offensive player; really a very good player all around,” Farrell said. “At 20 years of age, he’s still developing. He is a person in his abilities who will give us a shot in the arm and make an impact here.”
Farrell claimed the promotion was not related to the slump Red Sox had been in before arriving in San Francisco.
“It’s an opportunity while we’re on the road to bring Xander here and get his career started,” Farrell said.
Bogaerts is the first native of Aruba in the majors since righthander Sidney Ponson in 2009. Giants hitting coach Hensley Meulens, who managed Bogaerts in the World Baseball Classic, was happy to hear of the promotion.
“The more guys from the islands who come up, it makes us feel proud because our program is working, the talent is there. We put a lot of work in with these guys. Now they get here and they get to show it off,” he said.