New England 1, Toronto FC 1

New England Revolution squander opportunity, tie Toronto FC

Revolution striker Dimitry Imbongo shielded the ball from Toronto FC's Reggie Lambe during the second half Friday.
Chris Young/The Canadian Press
Revolution striker Dimitry Imbongo shielded the ball from Toronto FC's Reggie Lambe during the second half Friday.

TORONTO — Despite playing the second-worst team in the Eastern Conference, the New England Revolution couldn’t generate much pressure in a 1-1 draw with Toronto FC Friday night at BMO Field.

The Revolution (10-9-7) are unbeaten in their last three matches, but wasted a golden opportunity to pick up three points, managing a scant seven attempts on goal and holding possession for less than 50 percent of the match.

New England is winless in seven trips to Toronto, but did earn a point to move into the fifth and final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference.


Diego Fagundez quickly gave the Revolution a 1-0 lead in the second minute.

Get Breaking Sports Alerts in your inbox:
Be the first to know the latest sports news as it happens.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

Kelyn Rowe, who came in with three goals in his last two matches, gained possession of the ball just inside Toronto’s half and made a nice run to the top of the penalty area, where he walked around defender Doneil Henry and thumped a shot off the back of defender Richard Eckersley. He collected his own rebound and slid a pass across the penalty area to a wide open Fagundez, who tapped it into the net for his team-leading ninth goal.

Fagundez nearly doubled the lead four minutes later, but Toronto goalkeeper Joe Bendik dived to get his fingertips on a right-footed shot before it curled outside the far post.

Andrew Wiedeman scored the tying goal for Toronto (4-12-10) off a scramble late in the first half.

Wiedeman’s strike came near the end of two minutes of first-half stoppage time. Eckersley sent a long free kick into the Revolution penalty area, where it bounced around before Henry, amid appeals for a handball from New England players, slipped a pass to Wiedeman for the goal.


Toronto captain Steven Caldwell appeared to have won it in the 88th minute when his header off a free kick slipped inside the far post, but referee Fotis Bazakos ruled he committed a foul on the play.

Rowe led New England with five shots and took two corner kicks; Toronto had six. New England’s next match is Sept. 8 at Gillette Stadium against Montreal.