You can now read 10 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

The Boston Globe

Sports

Roger Goodell is on the defensive

The lawsuit settlement was fair, he said

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell spoke to reporters during a news conference Wednesday.

Seth Wenig/Associated Press

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell spoke to reporters during a news conference Wednesday.

NEW YORK — NFL commissioner Roger Goodell took issue with the notion that the league’s $765 million settlement with former players is a paltry sum compared with the sport’s revenues.

‘‘This is a significant amount of money,’’ he said Wednesday. ‘‘The plaintiffs also agreed it was an appropriate amount. The mediator felt it was an appropriate amount.’’

Continue reading below

Goodell made his first public comments since the settlement to the lawsuits was announced last week. More than 4,500 former players, some of them suffering from Alzheimer’s disease or depression, accused the NFL of concealing the long-term dangers of concussions and rushing injured players back onto the field.

‘‘We were able to find common ground to be able to get relief to the players and their families now rather than spending years litigating,’’ Goodell said at an event in Manhattan to promote February’s New York/New Jersey Super Bowl.

The settlement was announced last Thursday after two months of court-ordered mediation and is subject to approval by a federal judge. It does not include an admission from the NFL that it hid information from players about head injuries.

‘‘We think it’s the right thing to move forward and try to do what we can to help our players,’’ Goodell said.

Some former players questioned the size of the settlement, considering it stretches over 20 years and will be divided among thousands of people — and considering the NFL takes in more than $9 billion a year, a figure that will rise when new TV contracts start in 2014.

Continue reading below

Goodell noted that those billions are revenues, not profits.

The settlement applies to all past NFL players and spouses of those who are deceased — a group that could total more than 20,000.

Individual payouts would be capped at $5 million for men with Alzheimer’s disease; $4 million for those diagnosed after death with a brain condition called chronic traumatic encephalopathy; and $3 million for players with dementia.

The NFL’s litigation may still not be over. Four former players filed a federal lawsuit in New Orleans on Sunday against the league and helmet maker Riddell, claiming they hid information about the dangers of brain injury. They want medical care for past, current, and future NFL players.

On Wednesday, two former Super Bowl champions — Troy Aikman and John Lynch, now Fox Sports broadcasters — contended the league has more work to do.

Aikman wants the NFL to divulge more details about what it knew regarding the long-term impact of repeated blows to the head, and when it knew it. Lynch said he expects even more litigation.

You have reached the limit of 10 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week