Duxbury 30, Hingham 26

No. 13 Duxbury overcomes mistakes

SCITUATE — After turning the ball over on each of its first three drives, No. 13 Duxbury looked rattled. Hingham had all of the momentum, leading, 14-0, just seven minutes into the game.

The Dragons (3-1) collected themselves, though, outscoring their opponents, 22-0, in the third quarter en route to a 30-26 win over the Harbormen (2-2).

The Duxbury defense recovered two third-quarter fumbles and freshman quarterback Bobby Maimaron took advantage, throwing three TDs in the quarter to lead the resurgence.


“Especially at halftime, we just told the kids, ‘They’re not stopping us, we just gotta play our game,’ ” said Duxbury coach Dave Maimaron. “It was a tale of two halves. They couldn’t stop us in the third quarter.”

Get Breaking Sports Alerts in your inbox:
Be the first to know the latest sports news as it happens.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

Maimaron finished 12 of 22 passing for 185 yards, four TDs, and two interceptions.

It wasn’t pretty for the Dragons early, as after seven plays they had given away two fumbles and an interception by John Henry Johnson for a touchdown.

“We were hurting ourselves,” Maimaron said. “It wasn’t so much what Hingham was doing, we just made a couple big, bad mistakes early.

Maimaron put together a 63-yard scoring drive to get the Dragons on the board at the start of the second quarter, capped off by a 21-yard touchdown to senior Wes Quinzani.


Ahead, 17-6, Hingham lost all momentum on its first two offensive snaps of the third, both of which resulted in fumbles. Mike Callander and JP O’Neil recovered the loose balls for Duxbury and Maimaron led the offense down the field each time for a touchdown.

“We were our own worst enemy,” said Hingham coach Paul Killinger.

Just over 2½ minutes into the third quarter, the Dragons took their first lead, 21-17.

“The third quarter, we just executed on I think every single snap on both sides of the ball,” Maimaron said. “We’re a good football team when we play like we did in the third quarter. We just had some bad luck in the first quarter.”

Things went from bad to worse for Hingham at the end of the third. Senior quarterback Joey Spaziani took a keeper and barreled into the line before going down to the turf. He stayed down, not moving his right leg and had to be taken off the field by an ambulance.


“He’s done,” said Killinger of the apparent season-ending broken leg.

Before he left, Spaziani waved to his team in an attempt to ignite a fire underneath them. The Harbormen went on to score 9 straight points before missing a 2-point conversion that would have tied the game.

Marcus Urann’s safety sealed the deal for Duxbury with under two minutes left.

“We didn’t crumble,” Maimaron said. “Our kids faced that adversity and bounced back, I’m so proud of this team. I love them.”