The World Series will be David Ortiz’s 15th postseason series with the Red Sox, a franchise record. Only time will tell how it will rank with his previous playoff sets based on personal achievement, and whether it will end with his third championship.
1. 2004 ALCS vs. Yankees: .387/.457/.742, 3 HRs, 11 RBIs, 23 TB
Series MVP had walkoff hits in Games 4 (two-run homer) and 5 (single) and also got a Game 7 win started with a two-run homer in the first.
2. 2007 ALDS vs. Angels: .714/.846/1.571, 2 HRs, 3 RBIs, 6 walks
Ortiz reached base in 11 of 13 PAs as the Sox swept. He went deep in Games 1 and 3, and walked four times in Game 2 (twice intentionally).
3. 2004 ALDS vs. Angels: .545/.688/1.000, 1 HR, 4 RBIs, 4 runs
The big blow was a two-run homer in the 10th to close out a sweep, but Ortiz had three other hits in Game 3 and reached base four times in Game 2.
4. 2013 ALDS vs. Rays: .385/.556/.923, 2 HRs, 3 RBIs, 4 runs
Ortiz took David Price deep twice to keep the Sox in control in Game 2, and nearly led the team to a win in Game 3 with an RBI single and three walks.
5. 2004 World Seriesvs. Cardinals: .308/.471/.615, 1 HRs, 4 RBIs, 4 walks
The bulk of his damage came in a wild Game 1, when Ortiz rocked a three-run homer in the first. He also doubled and scored in the sweep clincher.
6. 2007 World Seriesvs. Rockies: .333/.412/.533, 0 HRs, 4 RBIs, 3 doubles
He had 2 runs and 2 RBIs in the Game 1 assault, another RBI and run in a Game 3 rout, and an early RBI single in the clincher in Denver.
7. 2003 ALCS vs. Yankees: .269/.367/.538, 2 HRs, 6 RBIs, 14 TB
Ortiz’s solo homer in the eighth inning of Game 7 gave the Sox a three-run lead that disappeared within minutes. He also had 3 RBIs in a must-win Game 6.
8. 2007 ALCS vs. Indians: .292/.424/.542, 1 HR, 3 RBIs, 7 runs
Ortiz recorded at least one hit in each of the first six games, and scored in all but one of them, before taking the collar in a Game 7 victory.
9. 2013 ALCS vs. Tigers: .091/.200/.227, 1 HR, 4 RBIs, 3 walks
Though he had only two hits over six games, the first was a tying grand slam in the eighth inning of Game 2 that kept the Sox out of an 0-2 hole.
10. 2005 ALDS vs. White Sox .333/.333/.750, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 2 runs
The Sox were unceremoniously swept, though Ortiz tried to avoid that with a homer in Game 3, one of his three extra-base hits in the series.
11. 2008 ALCS vs. Rays: .154/.313/.385, 1 HR, 4 RBIs, 6 walks
Ortiz was 1 for 17 in the series, without an RBI, before he cracked a three-run homer in the seventh that helped the Sox avoid elimination in Game 5.
12. 2008 ALDS vs. Angels: .235/.350/..294, 0 HR, 1 RBI, 3 walks
His lone RBI in the series came on a single in the ninth that sealed a Game 1 victory. Over the next three games he had one extra-base hit and one run.
13. 2003 ALDS vs. Athletics: .095/.174/.143, 0 HR, 2 RBIs, 2 walks
Ortiz’s first playoff series with the Sox didn’t go well. He struck out seven times in 21 at-bats and reached base just four times in five contests.
14. 2009 ALDS vs. Angels: .083/.083/.083, 0 HR, 0 RBIs, 0 runs
Ortiz was invisible as the Sox got swept. They scored one run over the first two games, with Ortiz going 0 for 8 with four strikeouts in that span.