Read as much as you want on BostonGlobe.com, anywhere and anytime, for just 99¢.

Notes: Dolphins suspend Richie Incognito

The Miami Dolphins suspended guard Richie Incognito late Sunday for misconduct related to the treatment of teammate Jonathan Martin, who abruptly left the team a week ago to receive help for emotional issues.

‘‘We believe in maintaining a culture of respect for one another,’’ the Dolphins said in a statement released shortly before midnight, ‘‘and as a result we believe this decision is in the best interest of the organization at this time. . . . We will continue to work with the league on this matter.’’

Continue reading below

The move capped a bizarre day for the Dolphins, even though their players were off. First the team released a statement saying Martin had not complained to the organization about bullying by other players. Hours later, the Dolphins said they and the NFL were investigating allegations of misconduct made Sunday by representatives of Martin.

Incognito posted several tweets saying he wants his name cleared after reports linked him to the Martin matter. Then came the announcement of his suspension.

Martin left the Dolphins on Oct. 28, raising questions about the role harassment from teammates played in his departure. It’s unclear whether he’s expected back. The NFL Players Association plans to look into the matter this week.

Martin’s agent, Kenneth Zuckerman, declined to comment Sunday. The Dolphins (4-4) resume practice Monday after three days off.

Martin left the team on the heels of a four-game losing streak. The resulting rumblings of locker-room dissension included reports of complaints by young players that they’re being pressured to pay more than their share when members of the team go out on the town or vacation together.

Some rookie hazing has long been part of the NFL, however.

‘‘Everything tastes better when rookies pay for it,’’ veteran Miami defensive lineman Jared Odrick tweeted Friday.

Broncos plot course

Broncos coach John Fox remained hospitalized as he awaits aortic value replacement surgery in North Carolina.

Fox spoke with Broncos executive vice president John Elway by phone Sunday to discuss logistics during his absence, including who will serve as interim head coach.

All signs point to defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio being that man, although team spokesman Patrick Smyth said that as of Sunday afternoon no decision had been made. Del Rio served as Jacksonville’s coach for nine seasons before joining Fox’s staff last year.

The players and coaches return from their bye week Monday with team meetings scheduled for 8 a.m., although special teams players meet earlier in the morning. Denver’s next game is Nov. 10 at San Diego.

Fox, 58, will have surgery in a few days and miss several weeks while recuperating.

Fox had been told earlier about his heart condition and was hoping to put off the operation until February.

On Saturday, Fox became dizzy playing golf near his offseason home in Charlotte and was taken to a hospital, where tests revealed he couldn’t wait any longer to have the surgery.

Fox is in his third season as Broncos coach after a nine-year stint with the Panthers.

Loading comments...
Subscriber Log In

You have reached the limit of 5 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com