You can now read 10 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

The Boston Globe

Sports

David Ortiz, Red Sox agreed not to renegotiate

The Red Sox had an agreement with designated hitter David Ortiz when they signed him before the 2013 season that they would not negotiate a new contract or extension until after the deal expired, according to a major league baseball source.

On Wednesday, reports from the Dominican Republic said Ortiz indicated he wanted to continue playing for the Red Sox for a year beyond his current deal, which runs through the 2014 season.

Continue reading below

The agreement would not necessarily preclude the sides from striking a new deal, however.

Ortiz, 38, said in Santo Domingo that he would keep playing as long as he feels physically healthy.

Ortiz won the World Series MVP award last month after reaching base in 11 of 16 at-bats with two home runs and six RBIs.

He had a .309 average with 30 homers, 70 extra-base hits and 103 RBIs in 137 games this past season.

Ortiz agreed to a two-year contract last winter after playing on one-year contracts in 2011 and 2012.

Nick Cafardo of the Globe Staff contributed
Loading comments...

You have reached the limit of 10 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week