Dolphins tackle Jonathan Martin is meeting in Los Angeles with NFL special investigator Ted Wells for a second round of questioning about the team’s bullying scandal, a person familiar with the situation said.
The person confirmed Thursday’s meeting to the AP on condition of anonymity because the investigation is ongoing.
Martin was first interviewed by Wells for nearly seven hours Nov. 15 in New York. Wells then spent the week of Nov. 18 interviewing Dolphins players, coaches, and staff in South Florida, and he also met with suspended guard Richie Incognito.
Wells is expected to meet again with some Dolphins players before issuing a report. Martin alleges he was harassed daily by teammates, including Incognito, who has been suspended since Nov. 3.
Martin, a second-year pro from Stanford, has been with family in California undergoing counseling for emotional issues. Last week the Dolphins put him on the reserve/non-football illness list, ending his season.
When Martin abruptly left the team Oct. 28, the Dolphins had lost four consecutive games to fall to 3-4, and the scandal threatened to sink their season. But they’re now 6-6 and in contention for an AFC wild-card berth going into Sunday’s game at Pittsburgh.
Wells will determine the role of coach Joe Philbin, his staff, and Dolphins management in the case, which inspired a national debate about workplace bullying.
Williams hit with fine
Packers cornerback Tramon Williams was fined $26,250 for contact with an official, per NFL guidelines. Williams told reporters he planned to appeal. He said he didn’t realize he had made contact with the official, and meant no harm. The contact occurred after a Lions touchdown early in the fourth quarter of Green Bay’s 40-10 loss to Detroit on Thanksgiving. A replay appeared to show Williams looking away while walking forward, just behind Lions center Dominic Raiola, when the official crossed in between the two players. Williams received a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty . . . Bears quarterback Jay Cutler and linebacker Lance Briggs will miss Monday night’s home game against Dallas. Cutler has been out since suffering a high ankle sprain Nov. 10 and practiced on a limited basis Thursday. He has been ruled out for the game by coach Marc Trestman. Briggs suffered a shoulder fracture Oct. 20 and remains out. He did not practice Thursday, but did run on the sidelines. Josh McCown will make his fifth start of the season in Cutler’s place.
Kerley looks healthy
Jets wide receiver Jeremy Kerley fully participated in practice for the first time since dislocating his left elbow last month and is expected to play Sunday against the Raiders. Kerley leads the Jets with 28 catches, despite missing four games this season. Fellow receiver Santonio Holmes (hamstring) and tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. (knee) were both limited, but coach Rex Ryan expects them to play. The Jets haven’t had all three on the field together since Week 4 . . . Raiders strong safety Tyvon Branch returned to practice this week for the first time since breaking his right leg Sept. 15 against Jacksonville. Branch is still limited at practice but hopes to be able to play against the Jets.