You can now read 10 articles a month for free. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

Shaun White withdraws from Olympic slopestyle

Shaun White spoke to reporters on Wednesday.

EPA

Shaun White spoke to reporters on Wednesday.

SOCHI, Russia -- Olympic snowboarding champion Shaun White, who was scheduled for double duty here, pulled out of the new slopestyle event that begins Thursday rather than risk aggravating a wrist injury that might jeopardize his chances of winning a third halfpipe gold on Tuesday.

“With the practice runs I have taken, even after course modifications, and watching fellow athletes get hurt, the potential risk of injury is a bit too much for me to gamble my other Olympic goals on,” White told NBC.

Continue reading below

Yet in a Wednesday press conference an hour earlier White gave no indication that he was considering withdrawing from the new slopestyle event and said that his wrist injury had been “blown out of proportion.”

“I just jammed it,” he said.

Yet White, who would be the first US athlete to win the same event in three Games if he retains his halfpipe crown, obviously had been worried about competing on a course that he’d said was “intimidating” after Norway’s Torstein Horgmo, a three-time Big Air champion in the X Games, broke his collarbone on the first training day. Horgmo will miss the Olympics.

“Shaun is the consummate professional and has made a sound athletic decision,” said US Snowboarding & Free Skiing director Jeremy Forster.

Loading comments...

You have reached the limit of 10 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week