Read as much as you want on BostonGlobe.com, anywhere and anytime, for just 99¢.

Red Sox Notebook

Edward Mujica healthy, happy to be with Red Sox

FORT MYERS, Fla. — On what was a very quiet day at Red Sox camp, new setup man Edward Mujica showed up and threw for a while. The righthanded strike-thrower had 37 saves as the Cardinals closer last season before fatigue set in, which cost him his job.

He walked only five batters in 64 innings and had an impressive 1.005 WHIP.

Continue reading below

He also admired the champion Red Sox from the Cardinals’ side of the World Series.

“It never crossed my mind to be a Red Sox,” Mujica said. “We did it and I’m excited to be here. I want to throw strikes and get outs in whatever situation they would put me in.”

As for the condition of his right shoulder, he said, “I think I just got a little fatigued. I can’t do anything about it. It was their decision not to put me in the game, [not] to put my numbers into the World Series. I’m 100 percent healthy.”

Mujica has ties to Sox manager John Farrell from his years in Cleveland when Farrell was the farm director there. He also knows Torey Lovullo, who was also with the Indians.

“I told my agent that I know a couple of the coaches over there and let’s keep our eye on it,” Mujica said. “I was thrilled when I was able to sign with Boston. They know me well.”

Mujica met with coordinator of sports medicine Dan Dyrek Sunday and said he was told, “Take it nice and easy. We went to the World Series. They don’t want to rush us. But they want to keep an eye on it.”

Gomes helps out

It was a poignant moment when outfielder Jonny Gomes placed the World Series trophy at the finish line of the Boston Marathon during the team’s victory parade Nov. 2.

For Gomes, it also marked the beginning of what he hopes will be a long-term commitment to wheelchair competitors in the Marathon through a partnership with the Travis Roy Foundation.

“It was such a tragic day when it happened, the bombings, and you think about the people who were killed and injured,” Gomes said during a telephone interview. “I was sitting on a plane brainstorming and wondering what I could do. I want to help people be able to race.”

Gomes will work closely with the foundation to purchase racing wheelchairs for competitors in need. He started the program with a contribution of his own and is encouraging Sox fans to join him. Donations can me made on-line at www.crowdrise.com/jonnygomes.

Gomes also helped convince one of his endorsers, Philips Norelco, to contribute $10,000.

Gomes did his research, learning about Roy and the work his foundation does. The former Boston University hockey player was paralyzed from the neck down in 1995 only 11 seconds into his first shift with the Terriers.

“I believe in what they’re doing and I jumped on board,” Gomes said. “If there are people who need help getting with the equipment for the Marathon, we can do that. It’s a great cause.”

Gomes shaved his iconic beard as part of a promotion for Philips Norelco. He hopes that will raise awareness for his latest charitable cause.

“I’ve been fortunate to play in different cities and Boston has been special because of everything that happened to our team last season,” Gomes said. “This is a way I can give back.”

Gomes will report to spring training later this month. The Arizona resident is in no rush to get to Florida.

“I’ve been outside hitting, throwing, running, and getting ready,” he said. “I’ll be there on the 16th or 17th ready to go.”

More depth

The Sox have signed 31-year-old righthander Chris Resop to a minor league contract. Resop appeared in 18 games for Oakland last season. He has a 4.62 earned run average over parts of eight seasons in the majors with five teams. He will start in minor league spring training along with fellow major league veterans Scott Cousins, an outfielder, and righthander Jose Valdez. The team Sunday also officially announced the previously reported signings of lefthanded relievers Rich Hill and Jose Mijares. Both were invited to major league spring training. The Sox also signed catcher Mike Brenly, a 27-year-old who has played only eight games above Double A in his career. He is a career .249 hitter in six minor league seasons and the son of former major league player and manager Bob Brenly . . . Farrell and third base coach Brian Butterfield arrived over the weekend. Pitchers and catchers officially report Saturday.

Nick Cafardo can be reached at cafardo@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @nickcafardo. Peter Abraham can be reached at pabraham@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @peteabe.
Loading comments...

You have reached the limit of 5 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week