FORT MYERS, Fla. — Francisco Cordero, a three-time All-Star making a comeback at the age of 38, has signed a minor-league contract with the Red Sox and was invited to spring training.
Cordero is expected to arrive here on Monday for a physical.
The righthander has not pitched in the major leagues since 2012, when he was with Toronto and Houston and compiled a lofty 7.55 earned run average in 47 appearances. Cordero allowed 61 hits and 18 walks over 39.1 innings that season. Nine of the hits were home runs.
Sox manager John Farrell was with the Blue Jays at the time.
“This is a guy that’s got a lot of experience back end [of the bullpen]. Have personal familiarity with him when he was in Toronto,” Farrell said. “Given some of the numbers in camp, there’s been nothing guaranteed to Coco but a chance to come in and demonstrate what he still has.”
Cordero has 329 career saves with six teams, good for 13th all time. He made his debut with the Tigers in 1999.
Cordero joins a large group of relievers competing for what may be only one open spot in the Red Sox bullpen.
• Righthander Steven Wright, a knuckleballer who made four appearances with the Red Sox last season, had hernia surgery late last month and is not expected to pitch again until sometime in May. Wright will report to spring training later this week, Farrell said.
• After a brief team meeting, the Sox will be on the field at 10 a.m. Monday for their first official workout involving pitchers and catchers. Those scheduled to throw in the bullpen include Felix Doubront, Allen Webster, Henry Owens, Brandon Workman, Rubby De La Rosa and Matt Barnes.
• Outfielder/first baseman Mike Carp reported to camp. The only notable position players yet to report are David Ortiz, Shane Victorino and Jonny Gomes.
• Dustin Pedroia reported to camp with longer hair that he had slicked back. He called it his “Pat Riley look.”