FORT MYERS, Fla. — Francisco Cordero, a three-time All-Star attempting a comeback at the age of 38, has signed a minor league contract with the Red Sox and was invited to spring training.
Cordero is expected to arrive Monday for a physical.
The righthander has not pitched in the major leagues since 2012, when he was with Toronto and Houston and compiled a lofty 7.55 earned run average in 47 appearances. Cordero allowed 61 hits and 18 walks over 39⅓ innings that season. Nine of the hits were home runs.
Sox manager John Farrell was with the Blue Jays at the time.
“This is a guy that’s got a lot of experience [at the] back end [of the bullpen]. I have personal familiarity with him when he was in Toronto,” Farrell said. “Given some of the numbers in camp, there’s been nothing guaranteed to Coco, but a chance to come in and demonstrate what he still has.”
Cordero has 329 career saves with six teams, good for 13th all time. He made his debut with the Tigers in 1999.
Cordero became Toronto’s closer in 2012 when Sergio Santos went on the disabled list. He had only two saves and was traded to Houston in July.
The Astros released Cordero in September and he has not pitched since. Cordero joins a large group of relievers competing for what may be only one open spot in the Sox bullpen.
Righthander Steven Wright, a knuckleballer who made four appearances with the Red Sox last season, had hernia surgery late last month and is not expected to pitch again until sometime in May.
Wright will report to spring training later this week, Farrell said.
Wright had a 5.40 over 13⅓ innings last season. He was 8-7 with a 3.46 ERA in 24 starts for Triple A Pawtucket.
Miller avoids arbitration
Lefthanded reliever Andrew Miller agreed to a one-year contract worth $1.9 million Saturday night, avoiding an arbitration hearing that was scheduled for Tuesday.
Miller filed for $2.15 million, with the Red Sox offering $1.55 million. The Sox have not gone to a hearing with a player since 2002 when they won a case against pitcher Rolando Arrojo.
Miller said he was prepared for a hearing, but glad to have ducked it.
“I’m sure their side would say the same thing,” he said. “There’s a point of no return when everybody’s ready to go, but it seemed we were getting closer and closer [to a deal]. I’m glad it worked out. It’s not a situation most guys want to go into. You don’t want to hear about how bad you’ve been.”
Miller indicated that there were “creative things” discussed along the way in terms of multiyear deals.
“It’s clear that I like it here and I think they made it clear that they like me here. It’s a mutually beneficial relationship, I believe,” Miller said.
Miller was a unique arbitration case in that he pitched very well last season before going on the disabled list in July with a season-ending foot injury. The former first-round pick has eight years of experience with three teams, working as a starter and reliever.
Ready to go
After a brief team meeting, the Sox will be on the field at 10 a.m. Monday for their first official workout involving pitchers and catchers. Those scheduled to throw in the bullpen include Felix Doubront, Allen Webster, Henry Owens, Brandon Workman, Rubby De La Rosa, and Matt Barnes . . . Outfielder/first baseman Mike Carp reported to camp. The only notable position players yet to report are David Ortiz, Shane Victorino, and Jonny Gomes . . . Dustin Pedroia reported with longer hair that he had slicked back. He referred to it as his “Pat Riley look.” . . . Non-roster righthander John Ely will be held back in camp as he continues to recover from Tommy John elbow surgery . . . The announcement by Ryan Dempster that he was leaving the team caused general manager Ben Cherington to reflect on the decision to sign the righthander before the 2013 season. “We were collectively trying to find a way to have fun playing baseball again after a tough several months prior to that. We knew enough about Ryan to know in addition to what he did on the mound, he might help us to do that, and sure enough he did,” Cherington said.