FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox manager John Farrell revealed following an 8-6 win over the Orioles Sunday that Jake Peavy suffered a laceration of the left index finger during a household accident, an injury that will keep him out a minimum of three days.
According to Farrell, Peavy, who was scheduled to start Monday in Bradenton, Fla., against the Pirates, cut his finger with a fishing knife while trying to cut something at his home Saturday. Farrell said it could have been much worse.
“He was at home when it took place and he was trying to cut through something, and when it gave way, it almost cut through his finger,” Farrell said.
“I don’t know how many [stitches]. He had a procedure today to make sure there was no infection of any kind and to clean it out. He’s idle for the next three days,” Farrell said.
The manager said Peavy’s timetable to start the season may not be affected if he gets back on his throwing program soon. He missed time early when he was hit with a ball and suffered an irritation to his right ring finger. He returned from that with no problem.
Farrell said Peavy could be fit with a padding on his glove hand.
Brandon Workman will replace him Monday in Bradenton.
Felix Doubront threw two scoreless innings with three strikeouts.
“This today was pretty simple,” Doubront said. “I was trying to play with my location, throwing first-pitch strikes. Focusing on my mechanics. Go out there and try to get my work done. When you’re throwing strikes, your tempo is a little faster. I’m going out there to throw a strike.”
Doubront looks leaner and meaner this spring.
“I was focusing on the physical part and worked hard to get strong and [be in] better shape so it helps me in the season,” Doubront said.
Grady Sizemore, trying to return after two seasons out of the game because of injuries, couldn’t answer whether he believes he’s a full-time player again.
“It’s way too early,” Sizemore said.
“Right now everything’s a challenge, but in a good way. I’m experiencing things again I haven’t put myself through for a quite a while, so there’s a building-up process. I’m pleased with the way my body has responded so far.”
Asked if he takes things day-to-day, Sizemore said, “I’m really on a two- or three-week evaluation process. How am I coming out of things that I’m repeating? That’s where I’m at right now.”
Sizemore did semi-crash into the wall at Hammond Stadium Saturday, but “it wasn’t a full crash,” he said. “I have to be smart about things, but I’m not going to change the way I play the game instinctively. If it requires crashing, I’ll crash. If it requires diving, I’ll dive. You can’t be fearful of doing the things you have to do on the field.”
Asked about his speed, he said, “I’m fairly happy with it. There’s room for improvement. There’s room for improvement with everything I do right now.”
Lester talks are on
The Red Sox have had at least two conversations with pitcher Jon Lester’s agent, Seth Levinson, on a contract extension. It appears talks are moving along reasonably well. Dustin Pedroia, another Levinson client, signed an under-market deal for eight years at $110 million last July, and it appears there’s at least a possibility Levinson would recommend the same team-friendly deal to Lester to enable him to stay in Boston . . . Shane Victorino isn’t going to rush anything in terms of getting back on the field after thumb ligament surgery in the offseason. Victorino knows he has a job in right field and he’s a veteran who knows how to get himself ready. So he said he’s not going to get out there too soon only to have a setback . . . Chris Capuano will make his first start Wednesday vs. St. Louis. Lester and John Lackey will pitch simulated games Wednesday.Nick Cafardo can be reached at email@example.com.