You can now read 10 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

The Boston Globe

Sports

MLB notes

Cabrera close to 10-year extension

Miguel Cabrera, coming off back-to-back MVP seasons, turns 31 next month.

leon halip/getty images

Miguel Cabrera, coming off back-to-back MVP seasons, turns 31 next month.

The Tigers have agreed to pay Miguel Cabrera $292 million over the next 10 years, according to a person with knowledge of the deal.

The person, who said the contract is subject to a physical, spoke Thursday night to the Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the agreement had not been announced.

Continue reading below

Cabrera is due $44 million over the final two years from his $152.3 million, eight-year contract that runs through 2015, and the person says Cabrera will make $248 million over eight seasons in the new deal.

Depending on whether Cabrera’s deal is structured as one 10-year contract or an eight-year deal starting in 2016, it will either surpass Alex Rodriguez’s $275 million, 10-year contract with the Yankees for richest contract, or Clayton Kershaw’s record for average annual value of $30,714,286, a deal he signed with the Dodgers in January.

Cabrera, who turns 31 next month, is the reigning two-time American League MVP. He hit a long home run Thursday in the Tigers’ 9-3 exhibition win over the Braves in Lakeland, Fla., and is batting .353 this spring with four homers and 12 RBIs.

Kalish makes Cubs

Former Red Sox outfielder Ryan Kalish was told he made the Cubs’ Opening Day roster.

While with Boston, Kalish missed much of the 2012 season while recovering from surgery on his left shoulder, then had right shoulder surgery in January 2013 and missed the entire season. He had cervical fusion surgery in August, and then became a free agent in December.

‘‘This is a really awesome day for myself and everyone that has seen what I’ve gone through,’’ said Kalish, 25. ‘‘My family is just ecstatic.’’

Fister leaves start

Nationals righthander Doug Fister left a minor league start after one inning with a strain of the latissimus dorsi muscle on the right side of his back and may not be able to take his first turn in the rotation on April 6. Fister, who missed time earlier this spring because of elbow inflammation, will be examined by a team physician on Friday in Washington. ‘‘It certainly is a setback,’’ manager Matt Williams said . . . Orioles designated hitter Nelson Cruz was hit in the helmet by a curveball from Rays starter Alex Cobb in the fourth inning of Baltimore’s 4-3 exhibition loss in Sarasota, Fla., but he walked off the field and was deemed OK following a precautionary CT scan . . . Phillies starter Cole Hamels (left shoulder inflammation) pitched two innings in a minor league game, his first outing of the spring. The lefthander said he felt well after recording nine outs and throwing 20 of 30 pitches for strikes against Pittsburgh’s Triple A players. He was placed on the 15-day disabled list Thursday. The Phillies also released 40-year-old outfielder Bobby Abreu. In 17 games this spring, Abreu batted .244 with two RBIs and 10 walks, but struggled defensively . . . Top Diamondbacks pitching prospect Archie Bradley will start the season at Triple A Reno after being reassigned to the team’s minor league camp. Bradley, 21, was 2-1 with a 4.32 ERA in 8 innings this spring. “He just has some things to simplify. He’s close,” said manager Kirk Gibson.

A clean spring

Yankees ace CC Sabathia pitched four scoreless innings in his final tuneup for Opening Day, starting a 4-2 exhibition victory over the Pirates in Bradenton, Fla. Sabathia finished spring training with 17 scoreless innings. Yankees center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury took batting practice and ran the bases after playing in two consecutive days of minor league games. He had missed the previous 1½ weeks with right calf tightness. Ellsbury is scheduled to play in games Friday and Saturday, and is expected to be ready for the opener . . . The Mariners and veteran righthander Chris Young agreed to a $1.25 million, one-year contract with the hope that the 34-year-old can solidify the back of the rotation until the pitching staff gets healthy. Young, who has not pitched in the majors since 2012, can earn an additional $3,475,000 in roster and performance bonuses . . . The Reds announced righthander Johnny Cueto will get his third straight Opening Day start on Monday, against the visiting Cardinals.

Marte locked up

Less than two years after making his major league debut, 25-year-old outfielder Starling Marte finalized a six-year, $31 million contract with the Pirates. Marte receives a $2 million signing bonus, and will receive salaries of $500,000 this season, $1 million next year, $3 million in 2016, $5 million in 2017, $7.5 million in 2018, and $10 million in 2019. Pittsburgh has an $11.5 million option for 2020 with a $2 million buyout. If that option is exercised, the Pirates have a $12.5 million option for 2021 with a $1 million buyout. Marte hit .280 with 12 homers and a team-high 41 steals last year . . . Marlins manager Mike Redmond said he expects second baseman Rafael Furcal to begin the season on the disabled list. A sore hamstring has limited Furcal to 18 spring training at-bats . . . The Astros claimed outfielder Alex Presley off waivers from the Twins and designated lefthander Raul Valdes for assignment.

Loading comments...

You have reached the limit of 10 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week