CHICAGO - Apropos of nothing:
1. Good time for an off-day.
2. Busy day at MGH - Koji Uehara, Dustin Pedroia and Shane Victorino all getting workups on their assorted injuries.
3. How do you send Jackie Bradley Jr. back to Pawtucket now when Shane Victorino comes back? He’s their best outfielder. How do the Red sox juggle this situation? Obviously, Grady Sizemore stays. So could Daniel Nava, Jonny Gomes and Mike Carp all be in play for possible demotion/trade?
4. Something’s amiss in that Red Sox clubhouse. Not quite the same feeling as last year. But nobody seems to be panicking.
5. Felix Doubront wound up pitching a decent game Sunday night, but there’s that feeling he could give it up at any moment.
6. Ryan Roberts is a better fielder at third base than I thought when they signed him. And Jonathan Herrera has good range at second base; terrible at third.
7. We await word on Dustin Pedroia’s sore left wrist after he’s examined Monday. If this is bad, the Red Sox have to figure out second base. I’d be on the phone with Stephen Drew so fast.
8. Supposed to be in the 30s for games in Chicago this week.
9. The Yankees could use both Kendrys Morales and Stephen Drew as injuries mount.
10. The Rays are trying to get by with Erik Bedard and Cesar Ramos in Alex Cobb and Matt Moore’s absence. Good luck with that.
11. OK, so many of us picked the Blue Jays first last season and last this season. So now they’re in first. Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion are two power hitters in the middle of that order. Sox manager John Farrell loved both of them when he managed Toronto.
12. Nice comeback stories - Sizemore, Jays righty Dustin McGowan, Derek Jeter and maybe Mark Teixeira.
13. Ubaldo Jimenez has been an nightmare for the Orioles.
14. What’s with the Royals bullpen? It was supposed to be their strength.
15. Someone took offense to me writing that Dustin Pedroia is the Boston version of Derek Jeter. Too bad.
16. I like A.J. Pierzynski’s game. He speeds up pitchers and speeds up at-bats. A threat at the plate form the catching position.
17. The Red Sox, Yankees and Tigers are three of the teams confirmed to be watching Joel Hanrahan’s workout in Tampa on Thursday. Hanrahan is coming back from Tommy John surgery which he had last year while with the Red Sox.
18. The Dodgers would have traded Matt Kemp in the offseason, but now? Tougher sell.
19. Shane Victorino is heading to a rehab assignment on Tuesday if he’s cleared Monday. His energy should help.