Read as much as you want on BostonGlobe.com, anywhere and anytime, for just 99¢.

Bruins Live

1

2

Overtime 1:21

Red Sox say Buchholz has injured knee

Clay Buchholz didn’t make it through the fourth inning Monday and wlaked eight. Photo by Scott Cunningham/Getty Images

Scott Cunningham/Getty Images

Clay Buchholz didn’t make it through the fourth inning Monday and walked eight.

ATLANTA — On Monday, the Red Sox said Clay Buchholz was healthy after a poor performance against the Atlanta Braves that included eight walks over three-plus innings.

On Tuesday, the Sox said the embattled righthander actually hyperextended his left knee during the game. The team is now undecided whether Buchholz will make his next start as scheduled Saturday against Tampa Bay.

Continue reading below

Buchholz met with general manager Ben Cherington, manager John Farrell, and pitching coach Juan Nieves behind closed doors Tuesday afternoon.

“We’re undetermined with his spot coming up in another four days,” Farrell said. “After he ran the bases [Monday], there was a pitch where his landing leg gave out.”

The Red Sox have not placed Buchholz on the disabled list. He is scheduled for a bullpen session at Fenway Park Wednesday afternoon, and a determination will be made then.

Continue reading it below

“We’re not going to put him at any further risk injury-wise,” Farrell said.

Buchholz singled in the third inning. According to the Sox, that precipitated the knee injury.

Running the bases is apparently quite hazardous for Buchholz. Before Monday, his only career hit came against the San Francisco Giants on June 26, 2010. Buchholz strained his left hamstring running to second base and was on the disabled list until July 21.

Should Buchholz land on the disabled list, it will conveniently allow the Red Sox to improve their rotation. Buchholz is 2-4 with a 7.02 earned run average that is the highest in the majors among qualified pitchers. In 50 innings. he has put 99 runners on base.

Buchholz’s last four starts — 18 innings, 33 hits, 19 earned runs, 15 walks — have been particularly troubling.

The Red Sox have righthanders Anthony Ranaudo and Allen Webster available as replacements. Ranaudo would be on turn, having pitched 6 scoreless innings for Triple A Pawtucket against Gwinnett Monday.

Ranaudo, a supplemental first-round draft pick in 2010, is 5-3 with a 2.90 ERA. He has given up one earned run over 19 innings in his last three starts.

Webster also would be available, having last pitched on Sunday. He is 2-2 with a 3.02 ERA for Pawtucket.

Buchholz has been on the disabled list at some point in June each of the last four years. A return to the DL would allow him time to work through the issues that have so far ruined his season.

Peter Abraham can be reached at pabraham@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @PeteAbe.
Loading comments...

You have reached the limit of 5 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week