ATLANTA — On Monday, the Red Sox said Clay Buchholz was healthy after a poor performance against the Atlanta Braves that included eight walks over three-plus innings.
On Tuesday, the team said the embattled righthander actually hyperextended his left knee during the game. The Sox are now undecided whether Buchholz will make his next start as scheduled Saturday against the Tampa Bay Rays.
Buchholz met with general manager Ben Cherington, manager John Farrell, and pitching coach Juan Nieves behind closed doors Tuesday afternoon.
“We’re undetermined with his spot coming up in another four days,” Farrell said. “After he ran the bases [on Monday] there was a pitch where his landing leg gave out.”
The Red Sox have not yet placed Buchholz on the disabled list. He is scheduled for a bullpen session at Fenway Park Wednesday afternoon and a determination will be made then.
“We’re not going to put him at any further risk injury wise,” Farrell said.
Buchholz singled in the third inning. According to the Sox, that precipitated the knee injury. Catcher A.J. Pierzynski noticed the problem and motioned to the dugout but Buchholz declined attention.
Buchholz said several times after the game that his struggles on the mound were not related to injury. He was not available for comment after the meeting Tuesday.
Running the bases is apparently quite hazardous for Buchholz.
Before Monday, his only career hit came against the San Francisco Giants June 26, 2010. Buchholz strained his left hamstring running to second base and was on the disabled list until July 21.
Should Buchholz land on the disabled list, it will conveniently allow the Red Sox to improve their rotation. Buchholz is 2-4 with a 7.02 earned run average that is the highest in the majors among qualified pitchers.
In 50 innings he has put 99 runners on base.
The eight walks on Monday were a career worst and the most for a Red Sox pitcher since 2010.
Buchholz’s last four starts — 18 innings, 33 hits, 19 earned runs and 15 walks — have been particularly troubling.
Buchholz was 12-1 with a 1.74 ERA last season.
He spent three months on the disabled list with a shoulder injury but had a 1.88 ERA in four starts in September. Buchholz had a 4.35 ERA in four postseason starts but the Red Sox won three of those games.
Now he is, statistically, the worst starter in the game.
“We’ve got work to do,” Farrell said.
Farrell acknowledged that Buchholz is dealing with a loss of confidence.
“We can’t deny that,” he said. “We haven’t made a definitive decision on his next turn through the rotation. There’s no denying what everybody sees.”
The Red Sox have righthanders Anthony Ranaudo and Allen Webster available as replacements. Ranaudo would be on turn, having pitched 6⅔ scoreless innings for Triple A Pawtucket against Gwinnett Monday.
Ranaudo, a supplemental first-round draft pick in 2010, is 5-3 with a 2.90 ERA. He has given up one earned run over 19⅔ innings in his last three starts.
Webster also would be available, having last pitched Sunday. He is 2-2 with a 3.02 ERA for Pawtucket.
Buchholz has been on the disabled list at some point in June in each of the last four years. A return to the DL would allow him time to work through the issues that have so far ruined his season.
Papi leads pack
The first round of All-Star Game voting was released. David Ortiz is the leader at designated hitter with 501,808 votes. Nelson Cruz of the Orioles is second, 17,622 behind.
Ortiz has been an All-Star nine times.
The only other Red Sox players among the leaders are Dustin Pedroia, who is in third place at second base behind Ian Kinsler (Rangers) and Robinson Cano (Mariners). Pierzynski is fourth among the catchers.
The game is July 15 at Target Field in Minnesota. Fan voting at ballparks will run to June 26. On-line voting at mlb.com ends July 3. Fans will select the starters with reserves picked by player voting and selections made by the two managers.
Drew to Triple A
Stephen Drew is lined to start at shortstop for Triple A Pawtucket Wednesday night at McCoy Stadium against Gwinnett.
Drew was 3 for 8 with two doubles and a walk in three games for Single A Greenville. He is eligible to join the Red Sox Monday in Cleveland.
Drew is scheduled to play 7-9 innings at shortstop Wednesday. He will be the designated hitter Thursday and play shortstop again Friday.
“He feels like he’s starting to get his legs underneath him,” said Farrell, who spoke with Drew Tuesday. “We can’t skip any steps along the way to do that. He’s progressing as we have hoped.”
Support from Gomes
Jonny Gomes will be signing copies of the book “Boston Red Sox: Every Picture Tells the Story” in person at Ace Ticket in Kenmore Square Saturday from noon to 2 p.m. Fans buying the book will have the opportunity to meet Gomes. The Travis Roy Foundation will receive $10 from every book sold . . . Fans can try on one of the Red Sox’ World Series rings from 2004, 2007, or 2013 at Fenway Park Saturday. The event runs from 3-5 p.m. at Gate E and benefits the Red Sox Foundation. For the cost of $10 raffle ticket, fans can try on a ring and get a photo with the World Series trophies. The raffle prizes are authentic World Series rings. The raffle runs through July 27 and can be entered online at redsox.com/ringraffle.
New Chicago Cubs minor league player/coach Manny Ramirez is still scheduled to attend the 2004 Red Sox reunion at Fenway Park Wednesday . . . Former Red Sox outfielder Mike Cameron, now retired after a 17-year career, visited the clubhouse before the game with his son. Dazmon Cameron is one of the best players in the high class of 2015 and could be a first-round draft pick. Cameron plays for Eagles Landing Christian Academy in McDonough, Ga., 30 miles south of Atlanta.