Cohasset holds off Dover-Sherborn to win D3 boys’ lacrosse title

The easiest way to understand Saturday night’s Division 3 boys’ lacrosse final between Cohasset and Dover-Sherborn would be to find last season’s state final recap and flip the team names.

Under the lights at Boston University’s Nickerson Field, Cohasset jumped out to an 8-3 halftime lead and held on for a 10-9 victory, ending Dover-Sherborn’s two-year reign atop Division 3.

Last year Dover-Sherborn held off a second-half Skippers charge for a 12-10 win in the 2013 championship game.


“The kids we took on the team were because of last year’s game and the way we coached was because of last year’s game,” Cohasset coach James Beaudoin said. “When you get that close and come up two goals short . . . it’s definitely been in the kids’ minds.”

Get Breaking Sports Alerts in your inbox:
Be the first to know the latest sports news as it happens.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

Dover-Sherborn midfielder Chris Williams’s fourth tally of the game cut the deficit to one with 1:33 left, but the Raiders could not find the net again despite controlling possession for what was a frantic final minute that featured multiple shots.

Cohasset’s goals came from all over the field and up and down the roster as six Skippers scored, led by a hat trick from junior midfielder Cole Kissick.

“Cole in last year’s game came alive and . . . he did it again this year,” Beaudoin said.

Raiders attack Grant Gregory scored three goals and freshman attack Bailey Laidman potted two.


Laidman’s goals came in the first quarter as Dover-Sherborn (19-3) took an early 2-1 lead.

Cohasset (20-4) responded with a 7-1 run spanning the remainder of the first half.

“We were clicking,” Kissick said. “We felt it coming and we were happy to keep that momentum going.”

At that point, the game seemed reminiscent of the regular-season matchup between the teams, which the Skippers won, 12-5.

But halftime brought a change in momentum. In the third quarter, the Raiders outscored Cohasset, 5-1, and entered the fourth down, 9-8.


Will Golden, one of 11 seniors on Cohasset, helped his team regain control with a goal early in the fourth. Then, the team’s defense, led by senior John McElgunn, killed off a 30-second man advantage for Dover-Sherborn with under four minutes to play.

“It was a town effort, our youth program has given us this,” said Beaudoin, who is in his second year as coach. “This is just me with the right ingredients putting the stew together.”