The Red Sox play seven games on the West Coast starting Thursday in Oakland. They hope to activate right fielder Shane Victorino from the disabled list during that time.
That’s the tentative plan, manager John Farrell said Monday. Victorino has been on the disabled list with a right hamstring strain since May 24.
“That doesn’t pinpoint an exact day, whether it’s Oakland or Seattle,” Farrell said. “That’s to be determined.”
Victorino was 0 for 2 for Triple A Pawtucket on Monday and played five innings in the field at Rochester, N.Y. It was his second injury rehabilitation game.
Once Victorino returns, Grady Sizemore could be the player taken off the roster. With Brock Holt now the regular left fielder and Daniel Nava again a contributor, the Red Sox will have too many outfielders.
Sizemore is hitting .216 with a .288 on-base percentage. He is hitting .187 with a .530 OPS since April 15.
“Brock’s emergence in the outfield has definitely taken away from Grady and the at-bats there,” Farrell said. “Particularly with the way Daniel Nava has come on of late. Grady has lost some at-bats. We’ve sat and we’ve talked about it. He recognizes the guys he’s in competition with here.
“He’s a little bit of a victim of the performance of other guys.”
The Red Sox are sold on Holt as their leadoff hitter. He has already played third base, first base, left field, and right field. Holt is capable of playing second base and shortstop, and Farrell said the Red Sox would be willing to use him in center field.
“The one thing that he has responded to is us putting him in any defensive position,” Farrell said. “His newfound versatility has been not only an asset but a luxury for us.”
Once Victorino returns to right field, the Sox could keep Holt in left field or use him in a super utility role. Farrell said he still hopes to use Jonny Gomes against lefthanded pitchers, so a Nava/Gomes platoon could work in left field.
Through Sunday, Holt was hitting .343 with a .369 on-base percentage since becoming the leadoff hitter on May 23.
Buchholz stays down
Clay Buchholz said Saturday he felt ready to return to the majors after pitching 4⅔ innings for Pawtucket. The Red Sox did not agree.
Buchholz will remain with the PawSox and is scheduled to start on Thursday at Rochester.
Buchholz allowed three runs on four hits (two home runs) against Charlotte in his first injury rehabilitation start.
Buchholz threw 62 pitches in that game and Farrell said the Sox want to get him to at least 90 pitches before he is activated off the disabled list.
“Clay went out and was able to accomplish for the most part some of the delivery adjustments he’s been working on. Overall strikes were improved,” Farrell said. “Better power overall and more defined shape to the individual types of pitches.”
Top draft picks sign
The Red Sox have yet to announce any draft signings, but first-round pick Michael Chavis is on his way to Boston to finalize a deal that would pay him the slot value of $1,870,500. The deal was first reported by Metro Boston.
Chavis, a high school outfielder from Marietta, Ga., was the 26th overall pick.
Supplemental first-round pick Michael Kopech posted a photo on Twitter of him signing a contract. The high school righthander from Mount Pleasant, Texas, agreed to terms last week on a bonus just below the slot value of $1.67 million.
Baseball America reported that the Sox signed second-round pick Sam Travis, a first baseman from Indiana University, to a bonus of $848,800.
Junior college righthander Jake Cosart, the team’s third-round pick, took to Twitter and indicated he signed. “Boston was amazing. Now it’s off to a new job,” he wrote.
The Sox also signed 18th-round pick Jordan Betts, a third baseman from Duke. He has already played for Single A Lowell.
Waiting for ruling
The Red Sox are waiting to hear from Major League Baseball recording the status of Brandon Workman, whose appeal of a six-game suspension was heard on Friday.
Workman was suspended for intentionally throwing behind the head of Tampa Bay’s Evan Longoria on May 30 after both teams were warned. Workman could get a game trimmed off his original punishment but is likely to get at least five games.
Lefthander Felix Doubront is a candidate to start against Oakland on Friday. Doubront has made three minor league starts since going on the disabled list with a shoulder strain.
On Sunday, Doubront went five scoreless innings for Pawtucket and did not allow a hit. He walked four and struck out 10 while throwing 90 pitches.
Ortiz still second
Designated hitter David Ortiz remains in second place in fan voting for the All-Star Game.
Ortiz has 1,316,921 votes, well behind Baltimore’s Nelson Cruz and his 1,792,432 votes. Dustin Pedroia trails Robinson Cano (Mariners) and Ian Kinsler (Tigers) at second base. A.J. Pierzynski is fourth among the catchers.
In-stadium voting ends June 26. Votes will be taken at mlb.com through July 3. The All-Star Game is July 15 at Minnesota’s Target Field.
Lefthander Mickey Pena, a starter for Double A Portland, was suspended 100 games by Major League Baseball for a third positive test for a drug of abuse. Pena, a sixth-round draft pick in 2010, is 2-2 with a 6.41 ERA for the Sea Dogs. Pena emerged as a prospect in 2012 and advanced to Portland at the end of last season. Pena then was selected by the Sox to pitch in the Arizona Fall League, where he made sevens starts . . . Director and producer Rob Reiner was at Fenway and threw out one of the ceremonial first pitches . . . The World Cup victory by the United States against Ghana was announced at Fenway after the fourth inning and drew a big cheer from the crowd . . . Will Middlebrooks was 0 for 2 and played four innings at third base for Pawtucket in his second rehab game . . . Arthur Miller, a 90-year-old Marine Corps veteran who flew 111 combat missions in the Pacific during World War II, also threw out a ceremonial first pitch. The former University of Connecticut athlete attended Navy flight school with Ted Williams and Johnny Pesky.