The way David Ortiz struggled to get down the first base line after ripping a single to right field in the sixth inning of the Red Sox’ 8-6 loss to the Mariners on Sunday, manager John Farrell knew something was wrong.
“Obviously, after he hits the ball off the wall in right and can only get to first base,” Farrell said.
Two innings earlier, Ortiz took a big swing at a first-pitch fastball from Dominic Leone and chopped it off his right foot, collapsing to the ground.
Ortiz stayed in for another at-bat, but then was pulled from the game. Afterward, Farrell said the slugger was day-to-day with a contusion.
Ortiz was evaluated after the game and scans showed there was no fracture.
“We’ll check him once he gets to the ballpark tomorrow and obviously throughout the night,” Farrell said.
Ortiz is 2 for 2 on contusions in the past two days.
He was hit on the left arm by a 92-mile-per-hour fastball from Charlie Furbush on Saturday that left him with a knot on the inside of his elbow, but he was back in the starting lineup on Sunday.
“I’m sure he’s still sore,” Farrell said. “But the swelling has gone down after he iced it and continued to treat it [Saturday] night.”
For the first time, the Sox had Ortiz, Yoenis Cespedes, Mike Napoli, and Allen Craig in the lineup together.
Even with Napoli going 0 for 4, the Nos. 3-6 batters (including Kelly Johnson, who replaced Ortiz) accounted for seven of the Sox’ 13 hits.
“Their track record suggests it should be a deep lineup,” Farrell said. “The fact that we’ve got experienced veterans and guys with very good offensive performance in the past, it should pose a challenge.”
Since Cespedes came to the Sox at the trade deadline, Ortiz is hitting .361 with five home runs and 17 RBIs. Farrell doesn’t see it as a coincidence.
“As we’ve seen Cespedes been added and then Craig and then obviously Napoli when he’s come back, I think it’s been a direct correlation to the pitches that David has seen in his at-bats, as well,” said Farrell. “So we’re hopeful that one another will benefit off the next guy behind him.”
Bogaerts on 7-day DL
Xander Bogaerts was placed on the seven-day concussion list after being hit in the head with a Felix Hernandez changeup on Friday.
“He still has some symptoms from a mild concussion, so until they subside or clear up we’ve got to go through the protocol to get him cleared,” Farrell said. “So he’ll be inactive for those seven days at a minimum.”
Bogaerts already is two days into the stint after sitting out games Saturday and Sunday.
“It’s been getting better,” he said. “I feel good, but I think it’s just something to be safe, just make sure that I’m fully healthy when I come back.”
Bogaerts will meet the team in Tampa on Friday. It’s the first time the 21-year-old has been on the disabled list.
“So, it’ll be a long five days without playing baseball,” he said.
Workman sent down
Brandon Workman was optioned to Triple A Pawtucket after giving up seven runs in 3⅓ innings in Saturday’s loss. He’ll start for the PawSox on Friday.
Workman hasn’t earned a win since June 10 in Baltimore. Since then, he’s 0-8 with a 6.25 ERA.
Much of his struggles have been tied to leaving pitches up in the strike zone.
“We’ve talked about it before, it’s consistency in the bottom of the [zone],” Farrell said. “When he doesn’t have his better velocity, as he did last time out against the Angels and better command down in the zone, that’s the primary focus with him.
“[On Saturday], I thought he did a good job of getting ahead of a number of hitters, and yet the inability to put a guy away, that’s what reared its head in that particular fourth inning.”
The Sox called up Heath Hembree, who gave up a hit and two walks in a scoreless inning of relief on Sunday.
Kelly on schedule
Joe Kelly, who tweaked his pitching shoulder on Friday, went through his throwing program without issue on Sunday. He’s scheduled to make his next start, Wednesday in Toronto . . . With Bogaerts out, utilityman Carlos Rivero has been called up from Pawtucket. He will join the team in Toronto. Rivero was hitting .286 with five home runs and 36 RBIs for the PawSox . . . Mookie Betts went 2 for 3 with two walks, reaching base four times in a game for the first time in his career. He stretched his career-long on-base streak to nine games . . . Christian Vazquez picked off Mike Zunino at first in the sixth inning, giving him three pickoffs in 30 games this year, the most by a Sox catcher since Rich Gedman had five in 1985. Vazquez also caught Chris Taylor trying to steal third in the sixth. He’s gunned down 9 of 20 runners that have tested him this season.Julian Benbow can be reached at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @julianbenbow.