High schools
    Next Score View the next score

    School Roundup

    Roundup: Walpole edges Dennis-Yarmouth in field hockey semifinals

    The Walpole field hockey team is in a similar situation to last year. The No. 2-ranked Porkers kept their perfect season alive, defeating Dennis-Yarmouth, 1-0, in the Division 1 South semifinals Friday. Walpole will face Sandwich Sunday in the South title game at Taunton High.

    After dominating offensively throughout the first half and into the second, the Porkers finally scored midway through the second. Junior midfielder Caroline Feeley rocketed a pass into the circle and junior forward Brooke Matherson tipped it into the back right side of the net to propel Walpole (21-0) to the victory.

    D-Y sophomore Max Allen made it difficult for Walpole, making 12 saves to keep the Dolphins in the game.


    “Me and [Caroline] do that a lot. She always drives it in and I try and throw my stick out there and tip it,” said Matheson, the Porkers’ leading scorer. “I thought the goalie was really good. It was hard to get it by him. It’s harder going against a boy.”

    Get Varsity News in your inbox:
    Your weekly look at the top high school sports stories.
    Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

    The goal came after D-Y took a timeout, during which Walpole coach Marianne Murphy told her players to work hard to get the ball past Allen.

    Allen, along with senior backs Lizz Egan and Mary Govoni, led the defensive effort for the Dolphins and shut down Walpole on each of its 10 penalty corners. Strong defense from Walpole limited the Dolphins to two corners.

    Murphy, who has fought to prevent boys from playing field hockey, said there was more satisfaction beating D-Y.

    “I’m against [boys playing],’’ she said. “They have a sophomore girl goalie on the bench that’s been displaced because they’re playing a boy. It’s something I feel strongly about and it’s disappointing to know other teams have come against them and lost because of it.’’


    Walpole goalie Molly Breen earned her 17th shutout.

    Acton-Boxboro 4, Masconomet 1— Eleana Cardarelli scored three goals as the Colonials (19-1-1) advanced to Monday’s North final.

    Watertown 2, Winchester 1 — Allie Doggett and Kayla Johnson scored for the Raiders in the Division 2 North semifinal. Watertown (20-0) advances to Monday’s final.

    Apponequet 2, Canton 1 — Junior Cara Storm notched the winning goal in overtime to lift the Lakers (20-0-1) in the Division 2 South semifinal.

    Boys’ soccer

    St. John’s Prep 2, Masconomet 1 — Nate Schmitt scored the equalizer and Carter Ocko notched the winner with four minutes left for the Eagles (17-1-2). Ben Alpern and Sean Kelly led the defense in handing No. 1 ranked Masco its first loss of the year.


    Somerville 5, Madison Park 1 — Felix De Bona broke a 1-1 first-half tie and added a goal in the second half as the Highlanders knocked the last city team out of the tournament.

    Medway 2, Canton 0— Freshman Jake Warren and senior Mike Barry scored, lifting the Mustangs past the Bulldogs.

    Weymouth 3, Oliver Ames 2 — Senior captain Josh Berg tied it up with four minutes left in regulation and senior forward Akere Tambi scored the winning goal in OT for the Wildcats.

    Girls’ soccer

    Oliver Ames 1, Needham 0 — Kendall Andrew scored the winner at the 65th minute for the Tigers, who advance to Sunday’s Division 1 South final against Hockomock rival Franklin.

    Central Catholic 1, Lincoln-Sudbury 0— In a Division 1 North semifinal, Courtney Walsh sent a pass to Alli Wiggins for the winner 10 minutes into the second half.