Globe Insiders
    Next Score View the next score

    To grammar’s house

    Wait, there’s a word for that?

    People walk over a world map engraved in marble in Lisbon September 14, 2011
    Jose Manuel Ribeiro/REUTERS/File
    What are those invisible lines between countries called again?

    “To Grammar’s House” is a regular column by the Boston Globe copy desk on the style and language used in the newspaper.

    When you work on a news copy desk, you read a lot of new stories every night. Because of the volume, there’s always bound to be a certain number of errors, misspellings, and grammatical problems. And then occasionally, there’s just something downright bizarre.

    In the aftermath of Moammar Khadafy’s death, his family and advisers were fleeing all over the place, mostly heading for other countries. One story that came across the news wire described it this way:

    The adviser said that Khadafy’s hunted son, Seif al-Islam, was also on his way to Mali, traveling across the invisible line separating Algeria from Niger.


    It’s too bad there isn’t a word in the English for these invisible boundaries. Wait, there is?

    Get Today's Headlines in your inbox:
    The day's top stories delivered every morning.
    Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

    Of course there is. We changed it to something like “the Algeria-Niger border.”

    This got me to thinking about other strange ways to refer to common things. Here’s a few we came up with on the desk, both actually found in copy and imagined. Feel free to add your own in the comments.

    Ink-to-word conversion device — Pen

    Spike-tipped orbs — Acorns


    Woody tree extension — Tree branch

    Assistive climbing mechanism — Ladder

    Elongated yellow fruit — Banana

    Modesty-preserving fabric coverings — Clothing

    Modesty-defying fabric coverings — Teenage daughter’s clothing


    Manmade surface to speed transportation — Road

    Grid of numbers to track the year — Calendar

    Invisible gas that surrounds us all the time — Air