You can now read 5 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

Red Sox Live

1

0

▼  1st Inning 1 outs

Seven people sickened after carbon monoxide exposure

One of seven people exposed to carbon monoxide gas at a triple-decker home in Mattapan remained hospitalized Wednesday night, according to a Boston fire official.

Five residents, including two children, of the Woolson Street building were released from various Boston hospitals by Wednesday night, along with a worker who was also exposed to the fumes, said Steve MacDonald, Boston Fire Department spokesman. That worker had been repairing the heating unit in the building, which likely prompted the release of the gas, Boston EMS spokeswoman Jennifer Mehigan.

Continue reading below

All heating systems in the three apartments were shut down and the windows opened to release any gas, and the city’s environmental health inspector was summoned to the scene.

After residents were evacuated, the company initially working on the heating unit tightened a loose duct that may have been leaking gas, MacDonald said. After closing windows and doors and running the heat for 45 minutes, no carbon monoxide was present in the department’s readings, MacDonald said.

By 9 p.m., residents were allowed to reenter the building. Only one person, an adult female resident, remained in the hospital, though she may be receiving treatment unrelated to carbon monoxide poisoning, MacDonald said.

“At this time of year, we recommend getting your heating unit or furnace checked out by a licensed professional, especially in older homes,” Mehigan said. “Nights are just starting to get colder, so many might not have thought about their heating units.”

People exposed to carbon monoxide often feel dizzy or nauseous. When people in a building suddenly share those symptoms, it can be caused by the presence of the odorless and colorless gas, Mehigan said.

Too much exposure to carbon monoxide can be deadly.

MacDonald said a couple of carbon monoxide detectors were missing from the building. Another lacked batteries. The Fire Department will follow up Thursday to make sure the detectors are satisfactory, MacDonald said.

“As the heating season is now upon us, people should make sure their systems are working, and, if necessary, get them cleaned or serviced,” MacDonald said.

Sarah N. Mattero can be reached at sarah.mattero@globe.com. Chris Stuck-Girard can be reached at chrisstuckgirard@gmail.com
Loading comments...
Subscriber Log In

You have reached the limit of 5 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Already a subscriber?
Your city. Your stories. Your Globe.
Yours FREE for two weeks.
Enjoy free unlimited access to Globe.com for the next two weeks.
Limited time only - No credit card required!
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.
Thanks & Welcome to Globe.com
You now have unlimited access for the next two weeks.
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.