Next Score View the next score

    Confrontation at Mattapan house party led to slaying, prosecutors say

    Rayshawn Few was invited to a house party in Mattapan last month and arrived with friends. But a group of men already at the gathering challenged their presence because they did not know them, prosecutors say.

    An argument broke out between the two groups and the confrontation spilled outside. Moments later, authorities say, Kewon Kelley, pulled out a gun and shot Few in the head and collarbone on Feb. 17, killing the father of a 2-year-old.

    Kelley, 26, of Plymouth, was arraigned on a murder charge in Dorchester Municipal Court on Wednesday, one day after he was arrested in Brockton. He was found hiding in a bathroom shower ­inside a house on Elliot Street, officials said.


    Kelley’s attorney, Matthew Feinberg, pleaded not guilty on his client’s behalf.

    Get Fast Forward in your inbox:
    Forget yesterday's news. Get what you need today in this early-morning email.
    Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

    Kelley was one of two men accused of murder in court Wednesday.

    In an unrelated case, Jose Carrasquillo, 42, of Roxbury was arraigned on a murder charge in ­Roxbury Municipal Court after police said he shot and killed Orlando Guerrero, 42, on Windsor Street in ­Roxbury shortly before noon Dec. 15.

    A plea of not guilty was entered for Carrasquillo. He was ordered held without bail and is due in court again on April 24.

    In the Dorchester courthouse, approximately 10 relatives and friends of Few attended the arraignment, but did not get the chance to see the 26-year-old defendant. Kelley hid behind a door to the courtroom.


    The group wore round buttons on their chest with a picture of Few. A relative of Few described him as a doting ­father to his 2-year-old and a man who had made strides lately to improve his life.

    The victim’s mother, ­Pamela, appeared distraught as she walked out of court and spoke with prosecutors and a victim’s advocate. She declined to comment to reporters.

    Kelley is due back in court on April 12 for a probable cause hearing.

    Assistant Suffolk District Attor­ney Mark Lee said the events that led to Few’s death began when Kelley attended a Valentine’s party at the Woodruff Street address. He allegedly confronted Few and his friends as they arrived.

    Few was invited to the party, being the godfather of the host’s child, but Kelly and his group of friends took issue with Few and his friends being there, Lee said.


    The confrontation continued outside, at which point ­Kelly shot Few, Lee said.

    Also Wednesday, a spokesman for Suffolk District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said that 22-year-old Osmell Odena, who was arrested on gun charges shortly after Few was shot to death, was armed but has no connection to Few’s murder.

    Jake Wark said Odena and a second man, 20-year-old Jamal Gittens, were in the neighborhood when police officers flooded the area after Few was shot.

    Odena and Gittens were in a car that sped away from arriving officers, who chased them and eventually took them into custody. Gittens is charged with failing to stop for a police officer and resisting ­arrest.

    Both Odena and Gittens have pleaded not guilty to all charges.

    John Ellement of the Globe staff contributed to this report. ­Brian Ballou can be reached at ­ Follow him Twitter @GlobeBallou.