Next Score View the next score

    Former state trooper sentenced to 41 months in prison

    He was on the television monitors in federal court again. A prosecutor was replaying videos from John M. Analetto’s trial showing the disgraced State Police trooper swearing, threatening to kill a bookmaker, and smacking the bookmaker in the head.

    Once it was his turn to address the court in person, a slimmer-looking Analetto stood and gave a thumbs up to his family and friends sitting in the courtroom, before telling them “thank you for coming.”

    “I am sorry,” he said, gesturing with his hands, nodding his head, describing how he let his wife, son, and daughter down.


    “I let my country down, my profession down, my colleagues down,” the 49-year-old said, as State Police superiors watched in the courtroom.

    Get Fast Forward in your inbox:
    Forget yesterday's news. Get what you need today in this early-morning email.
    Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

    “I’m sorry.”

    Analetto, a veteran of more than 19 years, was sentenced in federal court in Boston on Thursday to 41 months in a federal prison for extorting a payment from a gambler in a threatening phone call in 2011 that was captured on video and played for jurors in his trial in May.

    “I’d appreciate it if you started calling the right people and doing the right thing, or 2012 ain’t going to be too good for you,” he said in the call, ending with “capice?”

    The jury that found Analetto guilty on the extortion charge did not convict him of a second charge of threatening a bookie who owed him money, and the charge was dismissed.


    But US District Court Judge George A. Toole Jr. said he was considering all of the allegations against the former trooper, as well as a history of internal affairs complaints against him for threatening behavior, in handing out the sentence.

    “The offense is a serious offense, by whomever committed it,” O’Toole said, saying he was handing out the sentence so that, “the public should respect the law in seeing it vindicated, by punishing the offender.”

    He also ordered Analetto to pay a $7,500 fine and to serve two years of probation after his release from prison, under conditions that he undergo drug and alcohol treatment, and gambling treatment and that he stay away from victims in the case. Analetto has been in prison since his arrest on New Year’s Eve in 2011.

    Analetto had faced 33 to 41 months under sentencing guidelines. His lawyer, Daniel W. O’Malley, asked O’Toole to set a sentence within the guidelines, saying his client was remorseful for his crimes.

    He said Analetto suffered from a gambling and alcohol addiction, and “this was a person whose world was spiraling out of control.” He said the threats were bravado by a drunken man trying to impress other men in a car repair shop.


    “This was a man with a big mouth who was drinking all the time,” he said.

    But Assistant US Attorney Eugenia M. Carris, who prosecuted the case and had asked that Analetto be sentenced to five years, argued that he abused his position of authority.

    “He thought he was untouchable,” he said. “He has shown no respect for the law. He was sworn to protect the public, and instead he made threats, and he used violence.”

    Milton J. Valencia can be reached at and on Twitter @MiltonValencia.