Documents: History of problems at 87 Linden St.

Documents: History of problems at 87 Linden St.

The Boston Globe Spotlight Team reconstructed the terrifying April morning when a fire at 87 Linden St. killed 22-year-old Binland Lee. The exact cause of the blaze that consumed the house remains in dispute. The fire department found the cause was unintentional careless disposal of smoking materials, but the residents deny that anyone smoked in the house the night before the fire. Here are some documents related to Part 1 of the investigation: Violations at 87 Linden St. | Letter from tenant's mother | Appraisal for 87 Linden St. | Interview with landlord | Fire Dept. report


April 2000

ISD finds numerous housing violations at 87 Linden St.

After police broke up a large party at 87 Linden St. in April 2000, Boston University asked the city’s Inspectional Services Department to check out the Allston property. Inspectors found widespread violations but the paper trail abruptly ends.



Dec. 20, 2007

Letter from mother of tenant to landlord

Elizabeth Ducharme wrote a letter to the landlord, Anna Belokurova, after her daughter, BU student Jennifer Ducharme, struggled with health and safety issues while living in a basement bedroom at 87 Linden and ultimately fled the apartment.



March 7, 2011

Real estate appraisal for 87 Linden St.

Anna Belokurova filed for bankruptcy protection in 2010 after years of financial distress. As part of the proceedings, an appraisal was conducted of 87 Linden which noted the home had "accrued a more than average amount of physical depreciation."



April 28, 2013

Interview with landlord

The Boston Fire Department interviewed the building’s landlord, Anna Belokurova, several hours after her tenant, BU senior Binland Lee, died in a fire unable to escape from her attic bedroom. Read the statement Belokurova's attorney provided to the Globe.



May 2013

Boston Fire Department report

Four days after Binland Lee died, the Boston Fire Department released its findings on the cause and origin of the blaze. At least nine people home that night told authorities the same thing: no one smoked cigarettes in the house. But officials concluded that the fire was caused by “unintentional careless disposal of smoking materials.”