A Tewksbury man already facing charges for a November assault in Boston was arraigned Wednesday on an additional charge of violating his victim’s civil rights in the reported hate crime, officials said.
Ryan Sugrue, 24, pleaded not guilty in Boston Municipal Court to a charge of violating a person’s civil rights, Suffolk District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said in a statement.
Sugrue was previously arraigned for assault and battery, and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon for the same incident.
Sugrue is accused of attacking a 37-year-old Chelsea man on New Chardon Street around 1:30 a.m. on Nov. 30, prosecutors said. The man was on his way to work when, without provocation, Sugrue allegedly began shouting ethnic slurs at him.
When the victim tried to cross the street, Sugrue punched and kicked him, prosecutors said.
An MBTA Transit Police officer detained Sugrue near the scene. Boston police arrested him soon afterward.
After the assault charges were filed, Boston police continued their investigation, and Sugrue was charged with the civil-rights violation on March 4.
Sugrue’s next court appearance is scheduled for May 27.Aneri Pattani can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow her on Twitter @apattani95.