President Trump showed he has a sense of humor at the annual Gridiron Club dinner on Saturday night in Washington, D.C.
A year ago he declined to attend, but this year he was there, cracking jokes about himself, cabinets members, and naturally Democrats and the media.
Here are some of his greatest hits:
• On his son-in-law: ‘‘We were late tonight because Jared could not get through security.’’
• On Vice President Mike Pence: ‘‘He is one of the best straight men you’re ever going to meet ... he is straight. Man.’’ Trump also said, ‘‘I really am proud to call him the apprentice.”
• On Attorney General Jeff Sessions: ‘‘I offered him a ride over and he recused himself. What are you going to do?’’
• On The New York Times: ‘‘I'm a New York icon. You’re a New York icon. And the only difference is I still own my buildings.’’
• On North Korea: ‘‘I would not rule out direct talks with Kim Jong Un. I just won't. As far as the risk of dealing with a madman is concerned, that’s his problem, not mine.’’
• On former chief strategist Steven Bannon: ‘‘That guy leaked more than the Titanic.’’
• “It’s been a really calm week at the White House.”
• “I’m very excited to come here and ruin your evening in person.”
• Fox News is the “fourth branch of government.”
• “I like turnover. I like chaos. It really is good. Who is going to be the next to leave? Steve Miller or Melania?” Trump looked at his wife and asked if she still loved him.
• He said he needed to wrap up his comments quickly, noting, “I have to be up early tomorrow to watch Fox and Friends.”
• He closed by saying: ‘‘I just want to say this, this is one of the best times I've had with the media — this might be the most fun I've had since watching your faces on election night.’’
For his part, Trump sent a tweet Sunday in which he said the Gridiron dinner “was great fun.”
The Gridiron Dinner last night was great fun. I am accomplishing a lot in Washington and have never had a better time doing something, and especially since this is for the American People!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 4, 2018