fb-pixel Skip to main content

Former Red Sox minor leaguer, sought in ex-girlfriend’s killing, found dead

In this Aug. 29, 2009, file photo, Charlie Haeger throws during a game against the Reds in Cincinnati. Police have probable cause to arrest Haeger, now 37, on suspicion of murder and aggravated assault in Arizona.Al Behrman/Associated Press

SCOTTSALE, Ariz. — A former professional baseball player and Red Sox farmhand sought in the shooting death of his ex-girlfriend in a Phoenix suburb was found dead Saturday of a self-inflicted gunshot wound at the Grand Canyon, police said.

The body of Charles Haeger, 37, was discovered about 4 p.m. on a trail along the South Rim of the Grand Canyon in northern Arizona, Sgt. Ben Hoster, a Scottsdale Police Department spokesman said in a statement Saturday night.

Police were seeking Haeger, who spent parts of the 2011 and 2013 seasons in the Red Sox system, on suspicion of murder and aggravated assault in the fatal shooting Friday, Hoster said.


The victim was identified by police Saturday night as Danielle Breed, 34. Breed owned The Tipsy Coyote Bar and Grill in Scottsdale, the Arizona Republic reported.

Earlier Saturday, Haeger’s unoccupied vehicle was found near Flagstaff in northern Arizona, police said. Flagstaff is 118 miles (190 kilometers) north of Scottsdale.

Hoster said investigators determined that a male roommate of the victim heard gunshots when he returned to the residence Friday and that moments later Haeger emerged from the victim’s bedroom with a handgun.

“Haeger then pointed the handgun at the roommate. The roommate quickly escaped out of the back of the residence, and he was able to get a neighbor to call 911,” Hoster said in a statement.

Responding police found the victim dead in her bedroom, Hoster said.

Drafted out of high school in 2001 by the Chicago White Sox, Haeger made 34 appearances from 2006–10 for Chicago, the San Diego Padres, and the Los Angeles Dodgers. After a year in the Seattle system, the Red Sox signed the knuckleballer as a free agent in July 2011. They released him in 2012 after he suffered an elbow injury in a long-toss session, brought him back in 2013, then released him for good after he posted a 4.18 ERA in 25 starts that year between Double A Portland and Triple A Pawtucket.