scorecardresearch Skip to main content

Somerville and Winchester men fatally shot by police identified

A 39-year-old Somerville man was identified Tuesday as the person shot and killed by a Lynn police officer, and a man killed by Winchester police in a separate incident about 12 hours later Monday was identified as a 35-year-old resident of that town, authorities said

John S. Mellone was shot in Lynn around 8:15 a.m. Monday during a confrontation with police on a dead-end street where he allegedly pinned a Revere police officer with his car, according to Essex District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett’s office.

Mellone allegedly robbed a Walgreens drug store in Revere and then sped away from Revere police after he was spotted driving a grey sedan on Route 107 northbound, authorities said.


The pursuit ended when Mellone drove onto Witt Street, a dead-end street where a Lynn police officer shot Mellone, who was pronounced dead at the scene, according to Blodgett’s office.

A Revere officer was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital after the incident for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries.

Blodgett is investigating the use of deadly force by the officer along with State Police and Lynn police.

About 12 hours later, Winchester police responded to the Parkview Apartments on Swanton Street after a security guard reported that a 35-year-old resident, identified Tuesday afternoon as Thomas Celona, “had an issue” in the unit where he lived.

After officers arrived, they went into the unit and found Celona holding two knives, according to the office of Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan, which is investigating.

Three officers “reportedly heard noise coming from inside but did not observe signs of forced entry,” according to Ryan’s office. The officers then “gained entry” to the apartment and found Celona with the knives, prosecutors said. They did not say how the officers got inside.

“Police gave verbal commands for the man to drop the knives before a Taser was deployed twice, which was unsuccessful in subduing the man,” Ryan’s office said in a news release. “When the man reportedly continued to approach the officers, while still in possession of the knives, a Winchester Police Officer fired his service weapon striking the man.”


Prosecutors said Celona was taken to a hospital, where he died. The investigation is ongoing, Ryan’s office said Tuesday.

Globe correspondent Jeremy C. Fox contributed to this report.

John R. Ellement can be reached at Follow him @JREbosglobe.