fb-pixel Skip to main content

Man who carried a Confederate flag during Capitol riot is arrested

Kevin Seefried was arrested in Delaware by the FBI. He was photographed holding a Confederate flag in the Capitol Rotunda on Jan. 6.
Kevin Seefried was arrested in Delaware by the FBI. He was photographed holding a Confederate flag in the Capitol Rotunda on Jan. 6.SAUL LOEB/AFP via Getty Images

A man seen carrying a Confederate battle flag in one of the most searing photographs of the riot at the US Capitol last week was apprehended Thursday by federal authorities.

Kevin Seefried of Delaware was arrested in Delaware along with his son, Hunter Seefried, by the FBI. The two men allegedly admitted joining others in a mob incited by President Trump in the break-in at the Capitol as Congress convened to certify the presidential election.

“According to video footage from the U.S. Capitol, the defendants, Kevin Seefried and Hunter Seefried entered the Senate Building through a broken window at approximately 2:13 p.m. on January 6, 2021,” federal prosecutors wrote in court papers. “Shortly thereafter, Defendant Kevin Seefried was photographed holding a Confederate Battle flag inside the Capitol Building.”


The complaint included a copy of the photograph of Kevin Seefried as he walked through the Capitol.

According to the complaint, father and son were identified after Hunter Seefried “bragged about being in the Capitol with his father” to at least one co-worker. The co-worker alerted authorities.

Following their arrests, both men allegedly admitted to their participation.

“Kevin Seefried told law enforcement that he had traveled with his family from Delaware to the District of Columbia to hear President Trump speak and that he and Hunter Seefried participated in a march from the White House to the Capitol led by an individual with a bull horn,’' FBI Agent Katherine Pattillo wrote.

“Kevin Seefried also explained that he brought the Confederate Battle flag ...to the District of Columbia from his home in Delaware where it is usually displayed outside,” Pattillo wrote.

Pattillo wrote that a review of live television coverage showed Hunter Seefried punching the remnants of a partially broken window out, allowing protesters to climb through it into the Capitol.

“Kevin Seefried confirmed to law enforcement agents that Hunter Seefried was asked by an individual unknown to the Seefrieds to assist with clearing the window because Hunter Seefried was wearing gloves,” the agent wrote. “After Hunter Seefried complied, people from the crowd outside, to include the Seefrieds, were able to access the interior of the Capitol Building.”


Citing video provided by Capitol Police, Hunter Seefried took a selfie of himself at 2:29 p.m. and both father and son left the Capitol at 2:36 p.m., the agent wrote.

Both men are charged with one count of knowingly entering or remaining in any restricted building or grounds without lawful authority, one count of violent entry and disorderly conduct on Capitol grounds, and one count of depredation of government property, prosecutors said in a statement.

They are scheduled to appear in a Delaware courthouse Thursday.

John R. Ellement can be reached at john.ellement@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @JREbosglobe.