After a one-year hiatus, Tom Brady finds himself back in the Super Bowl for the fourth time in the last five years, and the 10th time in his career. He makes this trip as a member of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers after his previous nine appearances came with the Patriots.
The opponent will be the defending champs, the Kansas City Chiefs, led by quarterback Patrick Mahomes.
Here are all the details for Super Bowl Sunday:
What to know
Date: Sunday, Feb. 7
Kickoff time: 6:30 p.m.
Location: Raymond James Stadium, Tampa
Home team: Tampa Bay
Away team: Kansas City
Halftime entertainment: the Weeknd
National anthem: Eric Church and Jazmine Sullivan
How they got here
Tampa Bay: The Buccaneers went 11-5 to finish second in the NFC South and enter the playoffs as the No. 5 seed. After defeating Washington, 31-23, in the wild-card round, they won at New Orleans, 30-20, in the divisional round, then defeated Green Bay, 31-26, in the conference championship.
Kansas City: The Chiefs went 14-2 to win the AFC West and capture the No. 1 seed. They defeated Cleveland, 22-17, in the divisional round, then they dispatched Buffalo, 38-24, in the conference championship.
▪ This will be the fifth meeting between Brady and Mahomes, with the pair having split the previous four.
▪ The teams met earlier this season in Tampa, with the Chiefs prevailing, 27-24, in Week 12. The Buccaneers have won seven in a row since.
▪ Brady is the fourth quarterback to lead two franchises to the Super Bowl, joining Craig Morton (Cowboys, Broncos), Kurt Warner (Rams, Cardinals), and Peyton Manning (Colts, Broncos). With a win, Brady would join Manning as the only starting quarterbacks to win Super Bowls with multiple franchises.
▪ The Buccaneers are just the fifth team to win three road playoff games to reach the Super Bowl since the wild-card system began in 1970. The 1985 Patriots were the first team to do so. The other three — the 2005 Steelers, the 2007 Giants, and the 2010 Packers — went on to win the Super Bowl.
▪ Brady (43 years, 188 days) and Mahomes (25 years, 143 days) are set to have the largest age differential (18 years, 45 days) between starting quarterbacks in Super Bowl history.
▪ The NFL announced that 7,500 health care workers will be among the 22,000 fans in attendance for the game.
▪ The Buccaneers will be the first NFL team to play in a Super Bowl held in their home venue.
▪ Chiefs coach Andy Reid is in the Super Bowl for the third time in his 22-year career, and is looking to lead Kansas City to a repeat.
▪ This is the second time Brady will face a Super Bowl team coached by Reid. The two met 16 years ago when the Patriots defeated the Eagles, 24-21, in Super Bowl XXXIX.
▪ Buccaneers coach Bruce Arians has won two league Coach of the Year awards, with Indianapolis in 2012 and Arizona in 2014, but this is his first trip to the Super Bowl as a head coach.
▪ Brady will extend his record as the oldest quarterback to start a Super Bowl.
Super Bowl LV officials
Referee Carl Cheffers (second Super Bowl), umpire Fred Bryan (second), down judge Sarah Thomas (first), line judge Rusty Baynes (second), field judge James Coleman (first), side judge Eugene Hall (second), back judge Dino Paganelli (second).
|Wild Card Game||(Div. Winner)||$33,000|
|Divisional Playoff Game||$33,000|
|Conference Championship Game||$59,000|
|Super Bowl||(Winning Team)||$130,000|
|Pro Bowl||(Winning Team)||$70,000 (in 2019)|
Last Super Bowl appearance and records
Tampa Bay: This is the second Super Bowl appearance for the Buccaneers; they won Super Bowl XXXVII 18 years ago.
Kansas City: This is the fourth Super Bowl for the Chiefs. They are 2-1 and are looking to become the first team to repeat as champions since the Patriots pulled the trick by winning Super Bowls XXXVIII and XXXIX 16 years ago.
Past Super Bowls in Tampa
XVIII: Raiders 38, Redskins 9 on Jan. 22, 1984
XXV: Giants 20, Bills 19 on Jan. 27, 1991
Raymond James Stadium
XXXV: Ravens 34, Giants 7 on Jan. 28, 2001
XLIII: Steelers 27, Cardinals 23 on Feb. 1, 2009
Oldest winning coaches in the Super Bowl
Bruce Arians, 68, would become the oldest coach to win if the Buccaneers are victorious.
Andy Reid, 62, would move ahead of Pete Carroll and become the fourth-oldest coach if the Chiefs win.
|Bill Belichick||New England||LIII||66||293|
|Tom Coughlin||New York Giants||XLVI||65||158|
|Dick Vermeil||St. Louis||XXXIV||63||92|
|Andy Reid||Kansas City||LIV||61||320|
Oldest to play in the Super Bowl
Tom Brady will become the oldest player to play in a Super Bowl.
|Tom Brady||Tampa Bay||LV||43||188|
|Jeff Feagles||New York Giants||XLII||41||333|
|Mike Horan||St. Louis||XXXIV||40||363|
About the Lombardi Trophy
From the NFL: The winning team receives permanent possession of the Vince Lombardi Trophy, a sterling silver trophy created by Tiffany & Co. The trophy was named for the late Vince Lombardi before Super Bowl V.
The trophy is a regulation-size silver football mounted in a kicking position on a pyramid-like stand of three concave sides. The trophy stands 20.75 inches tall, weighs 107.3 ounces, and is valued in excess of $25,000.
Future Super Bowls
Super Bowl LVI: SoFi Stadium, Los Angeles, Feb. 6, 2022
Super Bowl LVII: State Farm Stadium, Glendale, Ariz., Feb. 5, 2023
Super Bowl LVIII: TBD, Feb. 11, 2024
Super Bowl LIX: Mercedes-Benz Superdome, New Orleans, Feb. 9, 2025
Follow Andrew Mahoney on Twitter @GlobeMahoney.