fb-pixel Skip to main content

Woodstove pipe failure sparked Lancaster fire

The cause of a four-alarm fire in Lancaster last Thursday was determined to be the failure of a woodstove pipe, the state fire marshal’s office said Tuesday.

The failure allowed heat and gasses to “escape into the pipe chase and ignite structural members,” of the home at 26 Runaway Brook Road, Jennifer Mieth, a spokeswoman for the office, said.

Two firefighters suffered minor injuries in the fire and no residents were injured, Mieth said.

The home is considered a total loss, Mieth said.

A lack of nearby hydrants made it difficult for crews to get water past the home’s 900-foot-long driveway. Firefighters relied on tanker shuttles to deliver water to the scene, Mieth said.

Advertisement



Material from prior Globe stories was used in this report.

Charlie McKenna can be reached at charlie.mckenna@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @charliemckenna9.