fb-pixel Skip to main content

Marshfield gas leak fire finally out

A gas leak caught fire in Marshfield Saturday morning.Marshfield Police Department

A fire caused by a gas leak in Marshfield that burned all day Saturday was finally out just after 7 p.m. and residents told to evacuate could return home, officials said.

The gas line was isolated and the gas shut off, which put the fire out, Marshfield police tweeted. A total of about 36 homes were without gas and only a few of those lost power, police said.

“Thank you to the Marshfield Fire department and Eversource officials who worked diligently,” police said.

Around 9:25 a.m., police had asked residents to evacuate the neighborhood near 344 Plain St. as the fire burned. As of 8:10 p.m., those residents were allowed to return back to their homes, police tweeted.

Advertisement



Eversource crews and Marshfield firefighters had been on site since the fire was reported, said William Hinkle, a spokesman for Eversource

“Our crews will remain on site working as safely and quickly as possible until the system is shut down, repairs are made, and all customers are restored,” Hinkle said.

No injuries were reported, police said.

Route 139 is expected to be closed from Furnace Street to Main Street for several hours, police said.

Police and fire officials could not immediately be reached for comment.

Matt Berg can be reached at matthew.berg@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @mattberg33.





Breanne Kovatch can be reached at breanne.kovatch@globe.com. Follow her on Twitter at @breannekovatch.