Residents of 20 homes were evacuated in Saugus Thursday morning as crews work to contain a “high-pressure” gas leak, officials said.
Construction crews were working near Walden Pond Avenue and Bow Street when they “dug into” a National Grid gas line, said Christine Milligan, a spokesperson for National Grid.
Saugus firefighters evacuated homes in the area shortly after the line was struck.
Gas is still leaking from the line and National Grid and Saugus fire are on the scene, according to Milligan.
No injuries were reported, Saugus fire Lt. Damian Drella said in a Tweet.
Residents were able to return to their homes at about 12:40 p.m., a public safety dispatcher said.
In a video taken at the scene, gas can be heard hissing from the ruptured pipe.
Correspondent Adam Sennott contributed to this story.