fb-pixel Skip to main content

‘He was taken for no good reason’: Authorities identify 16-year-old victim in Brockton shooting

The Brockton house where Liedson Monteiro-Terry was pronounced dead at the scene of an apparent gunshot wound during a large party at the Sprague Avenue property.Josh Reynolds for The Boston Globe

BROCKTON — Community members Sunday mourned the loss of a 16-year-old Brockton boy who died from an apparent gunshot wound during an early morning party Saturday, as officials continued their investigation.

On Sunday, the Plymouth district attorney’s office reported that Liedson Monteiro-Terry was pronounced dead at the scene of the party at 40 Sprague Ave. on Saturday.

Witnesses told investigators that a large crowd had been at the Sprague Avenue property for a party before the shooting occurred, according to the statement. Brockton police reported the shooting to State Police assigned to the Plymouth district attorney at 1:39 a.m.

Beth Stone, a spokeswoman for the district attorney’s office, said that no arrests had been made Sunday.


“The investigation is active and ongoing by Massachusetts State Police assigned to the Plymouth County District Attorney’s Office and Brockton Police,” according to a statement.

On Sunday, the community began pulling together around Monteiro-Terry’s family, as his mother raised money to cover funeral and other expenses.

A GoFundMe page had already raised more than $2,000 as of Sunday afternoon.

“NO parent should have to lose a son this way or bury a child,” the website said.

Along with Monteiro-Terry, his mother also had an older son and two daughters, according to the fund-raising site.

“Now is the time to pull together as a community to help a mother in her time of need,” the fundraiser said.

Monteiro-Terry played football in Brockton, including in the Brockton Midget Football League as a 10- and 11-year-old, according to Joel McKernan, who was Monteiro-Terry’s coach.

McKernan, in an interview Sunday, described Monteiro-Terry as an enthusiastic boy who was loved by his teammates.

Even after Monteiro-Terry moved on from the program, the two remained in touch, McKernan said. They last spoke earlier in the summer, and the teen was still a good-natured young man.


They’d talk about sports, he said, or about Monteiro-Terry’s enjoyment riding ATVs.

“He was happy-go-lucky,” McKernan said. “He was a good kid.”

McKernan could not fathom what would lead to the killing of Monteiro-Terry, which he assailed as a senseless, cowardly act of violence.

“He was taken for no good reason,” McKernan said. “He did not deserve to go like that.”

On Facebook, community members offered their prayers to Monteiro-Terry’s loved ones, and posted messages of support.

“So sad to say we lost a player today my heart goes out to our entire team and his family we love you forever,” one post said.

At the scene of the shooting Sunday on Sprague Avenue, there was little sign of the deadly violence that had occurred a day earlier. No one answered the door at the house.

Outside, a single Nike sneaker was left in the dirt near the front yard, and colorful streamers were still wrapped around a side porch.

A 16-year-old boy stopped by the scene Sunday afternoon and left three candles in the driveway to memorialize Monteiro-Terry, whom he had known for four years.

The friend said he was not at Saturday’s party, and could not make sense of Monteiro-Terry’s death.

“He was a real positive guy, he was a good friend,” the teenager said. “He was always there for me... he was someone you could rely on.”

Monteiro-Terry is the second person to be fatally shot in the city in just over a week. On Aug. 26, 21-year-old Maxwell Gervais was found lying on a Walnut Street sidewalk with a gunshot wound to his head.


Gervais was taken to a Boston hospital, where he died just before 2 a.m. on Aug. 27.

No arrests have been made in Gervais’ slaying.

Globe correspondent Charlie McKenna contributed to this report.

John Hilliard can be reached at john.hilliard@globe.com.