fb-pixel Skip to main content

Agawam house fire that killed teen ruled accidental, officials say

A 2-alarm house fire in Agawam that killed a teenager and injured an adult was accidentally caused by oily rags that caught fire on a breezeway, the state fire marshal’s office said Thursday.

There were no working smoke alarms at the home on Squire Lane where firefighters responded shortly after 9 a.m. Wednesday, officials said.

The teenager’s name was not released pending identification from the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner.

“On behalf of the Agawam Fire Department, I want to express my heartfelt condolences to the victim’s loved ones after this morning’s tragedy,” said Agawam Fire Chief Alan Sirois in the statement. “This was a terrible loss for the family and the community.”


Firefighters responded to a 911 call at 9:07 a.m., and found heavy smoke and flames coming from a two-story house, the statement said.

A second alarm was sounded, drawing mutual aid from Springfield, West Springfield and Westfield fire departments, the statement said.

The fire marshal’s office recommends oily rags be dried and stored in a small, metal container with a tight lid. The rags should be covered completely with water and a detergent to break down the oil. It should be disposed of at hazardous waste collection site, officials said Thursday.

Madison Mercado can be reached at madison.mercado@globe.com.