fb-pixel Skip to main content

Dorchester woman charged with stabbing another woman at gas station, child removed from vehicle

A 22-year-old Dorchester woman allegedly stabbed another woman at a Mattapan gas station early Tuesday and was then forcibly removed from her vehicle by Boston police who feared she was going to harm her 1-year-old child sitting in the rear seat, authorities said.

Quasaia T. Smith, 22, appeared in Dorchester Municipal Court Tuesday on a single count of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon stemming from the stabbing incident that took place before police removed her from the car. A not guilty plea was entered on her behalf.

According to police and Suffolk Assistant District Attorney Amanda Cascione, Smith and the victim were drinking together and then ended up at the Mobil Gas station on Blue Hill Avenue located across the street from the Area B-3 police station.


About 1:50 a.m., the two women started fighting during which Smith allegedly stabbed the other woman multiple times, one of which punctured her lung, police said. The woman was taken to an undisclosed hospital for treatment for her injuries, officials said. A witness called 911 and officers rushed over to the station where they found the woman bleeding from the stab wounds, authorities said.

Smith allegedly made a threatening statement towards the child and then retreated into her car where she refused repeated police requests to step out, authorities said.

“In the backseat was a small child,” Cascione said in court. “Police indicated that they tried to reason for quite some time with the defendant. There was a gesture that was seen by police where the defendant went toward the child and the officers decided to basically break the window on the driver’s side.”

After Smith was removed, police allegedly found a folding knife in the car, a prosecutor said.

The child was taken to an undisclosed hospital as a precaution. Police filed a 51A report with the Department of Children and Families. It was not immediately known Tuesday who has custody of the child or their age.


A police officer was injured during the incident and was also transported to an undisclosed hospital for treatment of minor injuries, authorities said.

A motive for the stabbing was not immediately available Tuesday.

In court, Smith was examined by the court clinician to determine her mental status and was found to be competent, aware of the situation she faces and was not in need of further mental health examination.

Smith was ordered held without bail by Judge Jonathan R. Tynes under the state’s dangerousness law.

She is scheduled to return to court June 30.

John R. Ellement can be reached at john.ellement@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @JREbosglobe. Matt Yan can be reached at matt.yan@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @matt_yan12.