A National Grid worker was fatally electrocuted while working underground in Medford early Thursday and three police officers were treated for smoke inhalation during the emergency response, authorities said.
The 35-year-old employee was working underground at the rear of a building on Salem Street when the incident took place around 12:30 a.m., according to the utility and Middlesex District Attorney Marian T. Ryan’s office.
“Medford fire and EMS performed life saving measures on scene before the man was transported to Massachusetts General Hospital where he was later pronounced dead,” Ryan’s office said in a statement.
Three police officers, one of whom was working a paid detail at the site, suffered smoke inhalation during the response and were treated at MGH and later released, Ryan’s office said.
In a statement, National Grid acknowledged an employee was killed on the job.
“With great sadness we can confirm that early this morning a National Grid electric employee died after sustaining injuries on the job while working in Medford, Massachusetts,’' the statement said. “Our immediate priority is ensuring we are doing everything we can to support this employee’s family and colleagues. We therefore will not be sharing any additional information at this time.”
Ryan’s office said a death investigation is being conducted by the State Police and Medford police.
The federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration is also investigating this workplace incident.
The death is not considered suspicious, Ryan’s office said.