fb-pixel Skip to main content

Man shot in Dorchester, injuries life-threatening

A man sustained life-threatening injuries during a shooting in Dorchester overnight Tuesday, the latest in a burst of gun violence across the city during the July 4th weekend.

Police arrived at Wilcock Street around 1 a.m. for a reported shooting, officials said. The man was taken to a hospital while homicide detectives and crime scene specialists were called to the area. No arrests have been made.

The shooting followed a violent weekend when shootings in several neighborhoods left at least 10 people injured. Most sustained injuries that were not believed to be life-threatening, but one person was listed in critical condition while another was in serious but stable condition, said Officer Andre Watson, a police department spokesman.


The Fourth of July weekend has historically seen spikes in violence, he said.

Suffolk District Attorney Kevin Hayden denounced the holiday weekend violence, saying it should “terrify every corner of society.”

“We were extremely lucky to see no loss of life. But we can’t count on luck as we move through the long, hot nights of summer,” Hayden said in a statement Tuesday. “We have too many guns in the hands of people too willing to use them, and any effective response requires across-the-board societal involvement.”

The first shooting occurred shortly before 11 p.m. Sunday on Woodbole Avenue in Mattapan, where a male juvenile was wounded and taken to a hospital for treatment.

Less than 20 minutes later, there was a report of a man shot on Greenville Street in Roxbury. The man was taken to a hospital where he was listed in serious but stable condition, Watson said.

Police saw a car leaving the area that had bloody handprints and other blood on the driver’s door and window, Hayden’s office said Tuesday evening. The driver, identified as Jason Meeks, 41, of Dorchester, allegedly refused to stop at first but then followed police instructions and got out of the vehicle, the district attorney’s office said in the statement.


Meeks was bleeding profusely from the left side of his face, and there was a bloody Smith & Wesson gun in the front passenger area of his vehicle, prosecutors said. A magazine found at the shooting scene matched the gun, according to the statement.

Meeks was arrested and taken to Boston Medical Center, where he was arraigned from his hospital bed Tuesday on charges of being a felon in possession of a firearm and illegal possession of a firearm, fourth offense, prosecutors said.

Meeks, who has prior gun convictions and served 15 years in prison on a manslaughter conviction, was held without bail pending a dangerousness hearing scheduled for Monday, according to the statement.

The next shooting came around 12:15 a.m. Monday, when several people were shot in Dorchester at the intersection of Bailey Street and Dorchester Avenue, Watson said. Three people were taken to a hospital with what appeared to be gunshot wounds while a fourth walked into a hospital. It was later determined that one of the victims had been injured by shards of glass and not gunfire.

No arrests have been made in connection with the shooting.

About 10 minutes later, a person was found shot on Monsignor Reynolds Way in the South End. with non-life-threatening injuries, Watson said. That individual was transported to a hospital with injuries that were not believed to be life-threatening. The shooting is under investigation.


A couple of hours later, around 2:20 a.m., police responded to Elizabeth Street in Mattapan, where officers found a man with life-threatening injuries from a gunshot wound.

“The homicide unit as well as the crime scene response unit was called out due to the nature of the injuries,” Watson said.

Around the same time, a man was taken to Boston Medical Center with a reported gunshot wound, he said. It was not clear where the shooting had occurred.

Later Monday morning, shots were fired on Garfield Avenue in Hyde Park. Officers found multiple spent shell casings and spent fireworks, Watson said. A woman reported she had been grazed by a bullet that was shot into her apartment. She was treated by emergency medical services but refused to be taken to a hospital for further treatment.

On Monday, Mayor Michelle Wu decried the violence and said investigations are underway into each incident.

“My heart goes out to all the family members who were impacted by unnecessary and unacceptable violence in our city,” Wu said. “We are working every day to make sure that Boston is a city where everyone is supported, connected to opportunity and can ensure accountability for what happens.”

Travis Andersen can be reached at travis.andersen@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @TAGlobe. Shannon Larson can be reached at shannon.larson@globe.com. Follow her on Twitter @shannonlarson98.