Police investigated a bomb threat at Boston Children’s Hospital Tuesday night but determined it was a false alarm, officials said.
The threat was reported around 8 p.m., and officers cleared the scene just before 10 p.m. said David Estrada, a Boston police department spokesman. Police did not find an explosive device.
In an e-mail to employees Tuesday night, Children’s Hospital said police had “given the all clear that there is no active threat to the hospital following a potential security threat reported to the hospital this evening.
“There was a large Boston Police presence onsite to secure the main hospital and 333 Longwood Ave.,” hospital officials wrote. “Following normal hospital protocols, the hospital was temporarily on lockdown and access to the hospital was restricted.”
A hospital spokesperson did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
In the Longwood Medical Area Tuesday night, police closed off a portion of Longwood Avenue between Avenue Louis Pasteur and Brookline Avenue and several police vehicles sat parked with their blue lights flashing.
About 9:55 p.m., police began clearing tape on Binney Street and people started shuffling back toward the hospital. The street slowly reopened to traffic.
Earlier this month, doctors and other Children’s Hospital staff who treat transgender children began receiving threats and harassment after the hospital’s pediatric and adolescent transgender health program was targeted on social media by right-wing groups, the Globe has reported.