fb-pixel Skip to main content

Logan Clegg, accused of killing New Hampshire couple, emerges as a globetrotting drifter — and a bundle of contradictions

He traveled repeatedly to Europe and carried a wad of cash, yet he lived in a tent.

Logan Clegg appeared virtually in Franklin Superior Court in St. Albans, Vt.Screengrab of Franklin County Court virtual arraignmen

When Logan L. Clegg was arrested in Burlington, Vt., earlier this month, authorities searched the backpack the 26-year-old drifter was carrying.

A suspect in the killing of a retired Concord, N.H., couple, Clegg had been living in a tent in Burlington. But what officers found scarcely made him seem destitute: a loaded Glock 17 pistol, $7,150 in cash, and an envelope containing a Romanian passport bearing Clegg’s photo with the name Claude Zemo.

His arrest marked a welcome turn in the six-month investigation of one of the most high-profile murder probes in recent New Hampshire history, the deaths of Stephen and Djeswende Reid, a retired couple whose bullet-riddled bodies were discovered April 21 in a wooded area not far from their Concord, N.H., apartment complex.


But the bizarre details about Clegg that have emerged since his arrest have only deepened the mystery surrounding the Reids’ deaths and their alleged killer. An 11-page affidavit filed by prosecutors in Vermont Superior Court paints a complex and often contradictory picture of the man police say shot the Reids to death after encountering them on a popular hiking trail.

The image of Clegg in the affidavit could not be more at odds with his ghostly past in the tiny Washington-state town where he grew up; no one contacted by the Globe seemed to know him at all.

While in New Hampshire, Clegg drank so much soda that police dubbed him the “Mountain Dew Man,” yet he also made a point to order vitamins in bulk. His most consistent employer was McDonald’s, where he earned a few hundred dollars a week. Still, he regularly had thousands of dollars of cash on hand. He lived out of a tent from Walmart — padlocked and meticulously kept when discovered by police in April — but held onto euro coins and an American passport with stamps from international locations: Portugal, Germany, and France.


It was Clegg’s penchant for international travel that triggered his arrest at the South Burlington, Vt., Public Library on Oct. 12. Concord, N.H., police had learned he had bought a one-way plane ticket to Berlin.

Authorities so far have declined to address a potential motive in the slayings or what might have brought Clegg to Concord.

But Clegg’s perplexing background has fueled speculation about the nature of the killings, which are exceedingly rare in Concord; the city has had 10 murders over the preceding two decades.

Before retiring to Concord, Stephen Reid’s hometown, the couple spent much of their lives abroad, doing humanitarian and government work in far-flung locales across the globe — including Burkina Faso, Niger, Senegal, Bangladesh, and Haiti. During the months that the public had little more than an artist’s sketch of the murder suspect, some wondered aloud if the Reids’ killings were connected to their work.

At 26, Clegg appears to have left no digital footprint or permanent address. Even within his own family, he seems oddly absent. In the obituary for his father in 2008, Clegg — an only child — received just a passing mention, and a memorial website created by the family does not mention Logan Clegg by name.

Extensive attempts to reach members of his family and former classmates were unsuccessful.

Meanwhile, several residents of Colville, Wash. — a town of less than 5,000 where Clegg is believed to have spent at least part of his childhood — said that they had no memory of Clegg, though some were acquainted with his extended family.


“I’m a retired UPS driver, and I knew everybody, and everybody knew me, and that name is drawing a total blank,” said one resident who spoke with the Globe.

Much of the biographical information about Clegg comes from his run-ins with law enforcement in recent years, including a 2018 incident in which he stabbed a 28-year-old Spokane, Wash., man to death during a fight.

In that case, Clegg told police he was walking to work for his midnight shift at a local McDonald’s when a man named Corey Ward punched him following a verbal altercation. Clegg said he responded by stabbing Ward numerous times with a small pocketknife. He then left the fatally injured Ward lying bleeding on the ground and traveled more than a mile to the McDonald’s, arriving with a facial injury and bleeding hand.

There were no other witnesses to the incident. Ward’s mother, Lisa Ward, told the Globe that it wasn’t in her son’s character to initiate an attack. Clegg, who claimed self-defense, was never charged in the killing.

Two years later, in the summer of 2020, Clegg surfaced in Salt Lake City, where he was arrested for shoplifting at a local Walmart. In his waistband, officers found a loaded .45-caliber handgun that had recently been reported stolen from Al’s Sporting Goods in Logan, Utah. Clegg allegedly told the officers that he wished he’d had “a chance to pull [the gun] out and fight one on one,” according to the recent affidavit.


“[I’d] rather die than [expletive] go to prison,” he allegedly said.

Less than three weeks later, he was arrested again trying to flee the police, who discovered a second gun stolen from Al’s — a CZ 75B handgun — as well as nearly $2,300 in cash and several tools used for picking locks, according to the police report.

When asked by police about the lock-picking tools, Clegg allegedly told them: “A friend in Europe sent them to him to practice with. The friend has a hardware store and locksmith business in Europe and offered him an apprenticeship when he arrives.”

Clegg spent four days in jail before being released. He was ultimately sentenced in November 2020 to 36 months’ probation.

Ten months later, he was on a plane from Chicago to Lisbon. He seems to have spent the rest of the summer in Europe, returning in November on a flight from Munich to Reykjavik, Iceland, to Boston. He soon settled in Concord. That month, he began working at a local McDonald’s, where a supervisor later described him as a loner whom she believed to be homeless.

A scene from the Marsh Loop Trail in Concord, N.H. The bodies of a married couple, Stephen and Djeswende Reid, were discovered close to the trail in the early evening of April 21, 2022.Jessica Rinaldi/Globe Staff

In the woods of Concord, Clegg seemed to carve out a minimalist existence. He stayed at times in a tent near a popular trail system. On at least 47 occasions between November 2021 and April 2022, surveillance footage showed him shopping at a Walmart not far from the Reids’ home in the Alton Woods apartment complex, often buying small propane tanks and groceries, always using the store’s self-service checkout and typically paying in cash.


And, based on damage to trees and the many shell casings recovered near the tent site, police believe Clegg often practiced shooting his guns in the suburban woods.

He also used a so-called “burner” e-mail account to place two bulk orders of vitamins, picking them up at a nearby Walgreens pharmacy.

In February, less than two months before the killings, police say Clegg had a ticket to fly from Newark, N.J., to Reykavik.

But for reasons unclear, he never boarded the flight.

That same month, court records show Clegg — using a fake Vermont driver’s license — purchased a Glock 17 and three boxes of 9mm ammunition at R&L Archery Inc. in Barre, Vt.

It was that gun, police now allege, that was in his possession on the afternoon of April 18, the day the Reids were slain.

The Alton Woods apartments where Stephen and Djeswende Reid lived in Concord. Craig F. Walker/Globe Staff

Just before 2:30 p.m. that day, surveillance footage shows that Clegg made a purchase from a nearby Shaw’s, then headed back toward his camp, taking a route from the Alton Woods apartment complex, where the Reids lived, to the Marsh Loop Trail.

Roughly 20 minutes later, a woman walking her dogs on the Marsh Loop Trail encountered the Reids, pausing to let the couple pass. Within 10 minutes, she heard a burst of five gunshots. She continued onward, eventually coming face-to-face with Clegg, who she said stared at her and then into the woods where the Reids’ bodies were later found. He passed by without saying a word and she continued her hike.

That woman later provided police the description used to produce the FBI sketch widely circulated in the last six months. Detectives were also able to use surveillance footage and credit card and bank records from his various purchases to trace his whereabouts before and after the killings.

Once they had a lead on his real name, New Hampshire authorities learned there was an arrest warrant issued in Utah for Clegg after he failed to report for probation. And a booking photo from the Utah arrest provided them with a clear image of Clegg they could show to potential witnesses.

Earlier this month, using cellphone data from a phone linked to Clegg, authorities tracked the 26-year-old to a public library in Vermont. He was arrested without incident and taken in for questioning.

When asked about the Reid killings, he denied any involvement.

Dugan Arnett can be reached at dugan.arnett@globe.com. Hanna Krueger can be reached at hanna.krueger@globe.com. Follow her on Twitter @hannaskrueger.