Patriots quarterback Mac Jones was caught by the television cameras shouting on the sidelines during Thursday’s loss to the Bills. While lip-readers quickly jumped to conclusions on social media, the quarterback was asked about the moment after the game.
Mac Jones is having the time of his life under Matt Patricia pic.twitter.com/u4joRkGxHQ— Will Brinson (@WillBrinson) December 2, 2022
“Obviously, I just kind of let my emotions get to me,” Jones said. “We were kind of playing from behind, and what I said was about throwing it deeper in the short game. I have to [execute] that part better but it was the short game we kept going to, which was working.
“But I felt like we needed chunk plays, and I shouted that out to kind of get everyone going. That’s emotional. That’s football. I’m passionate about this game.
“Obviously, you don’t want your emotions get the best of you,” said Jones.
Jones also said he wasn’t directing his rant toward a specific person.
“It wasn’t directed at anybody. Just emotion coming out,” he said. “We kind of needed a spark.
“When you are playing from behind against a really good team and a good offense, you have to go out there and make better plays. And that starts with me. It definitely wasn’t good enough by me.”
Jones finished 22-for-36 for 195 yards and a touchdown. The Patriots fell to 6-6, and are off until Dec. 12, when they’ll face the Cardinals in Arizona.
Read more about the Patriots-Bills game:
• McBride: A closer look at how the Bills completely overwhelmed the Patriots
• Sullivan: The Patriots couldn’t hang with the new beasts of the AFC East
• Volin: A lame loss to the Bills exposed the Patriots’ flawed offseason
• The Patriots turned to defensive back Marcus Jones to score their only TD
• Finn: In the ultimate compliment, the Bills put on a Patriot-like performance
• Gasper: The Marcus Jones touchdown was a neat trick, but it also showed the Patriots’ offense is a disaster
• How it happened: Bills dominate Patriots once again, roll to convincing victory
Christopher Price can be reached at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter at cpriceglobe.