The fire that killed a 6-year-old boy on Cape Cod on Saturday was most likely caused by the failure of an electric fan, authorities said.
Around 8:40 p.m. Saturday, firefighters rushed to the house fire at 177 Route 6A in Orleans to find smoke and flames coming from the second floor of the two-and-a-half story building, which contained four apartments and an office space, according to a statement from Fire Chief George E. Deering IV, Police Chief Scott MacDonald, State Fire Marshal Peter J. Ostroskey, and Cape and Islands District Attorney Robert J. Galibois.
When firefighters learned that a child was unaccounted for, they went inside and found the boy, who was rushed to an area hospital where he “tragically succumbed to his injuries,” officials said.
Four others were taken for medical care, and one Orleans police officer was evaluated and released, officials said.
Investigators determined that the fire began in the rear of the second floor, “most likely with a fan that had been in use prior to the fire,” officials said.
The 6-year-old victim was identified as Kyi Odeen Bourne, a student at the Harwich Elementary School, according to a GoFundMe page that was started by his mother, Shantal Thomas.
His favorite color was red and he enjoyed watching SpongeBob SquarePants and The Boss Baby, Thomas wrote.
Thomas said donations will help pay for her son’s funeral expenses, as well as food, clothing, and shelter for her 8-year-old daughter and husband.
“Thanks in advance to y’all,” she wrote. “Prayers for my family to get through these difficult times.”
As of Wednesday afternoon, more than $50,000 had been raised.
Officials extended condolences to the boy’s family and loved ones.
“On behalf of the Orleans Fire Department, I want to express our deepest condolences to the victim’s family and loved ones,” Deering said in a statement. “There are no words to describe their loss, or the loss to our community. I can only ask that every family take a few minutes today to create a home escape plan that includes two ways out. Practice it regularly so that everyone in your household knows what to do and where to go when there’s an emergency.”