scorecardresearch Skip to main content

N.H. man fatally injured at Gillette Stadium during Patriots game Sunday night, DA says

New England Patriots quarterback Mac Jones (10) throws a pass against the Miami Dolphins on Sunday.Matthew J. Lee/Globe Staff

Update: Initial autopsy results released Wednesday in the death of a New England Patriots fan who collapsed after a fight with a Miami Dolphins fan at Gillette Stadium identified a “medical issue” and suggest that he did not die from “traumatic injury,” Norfolk District Attorney Michael Morrissey said. Read the latest here.

A New Hampshire man suffered fatal injuries at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough during Sunday night’s game between the New England Patriots and Miami Dolphins, officials said.

The man was identified Monday as Dale Mooney, 53, of Newmarket, N.H., by Norfolk District Attorney Michael Morrissey’s office, which is investigating his death “under normal protocol.”


Shortly before 11 p.m. on Sunday, Mooney was in the stadium’s upper level when he became “in apparent need of medical attention,” Morrissey’s office said in a statement. He was taken to Sturdy Health in Attleboro, where he later died, Morrissey’s office said.

The state medical examiner’s office will conduct an autopsy and his death remains under investigation.

In a separate incident, two off-duty firefighters provided life-saving CPR to a fan at the game, a spokesman for Morrissey said.

Mark McCullough of the Needham Fire Department and Anthony Colella of the Johnston, (R.I.), fire department saw police running down the stairs to the G-P Atrium section underneath the lighthouse at Gillette Stadium They followed suit and jumped into action to help the fan.

Colella checked the man’s airway to confirm he wasn’t breathing and then checked his pulse before starting CPR on the man — whom they estimate was in his 50s — which continued for about a minute.

“It’s one of those things where it’s not just me, it’s everybody else,” McCullough told “That’s what we do for a living. Even if we’re not working, we’re still out there doing what we have to do.”


The man, who was with his son and brother-in-law, regained consciousness. They thought he was choking, but he wasn’t. He had, however, fallen and hit the back of his head and was bleeding. Colella and McCullough waited with him until emergency services arrived.

The man’s condition was not immediately known.

John R. Ellement can be reached at Follow him @JREbosglobe.